Stefano De Dominicis
Assistant professor, tenure track
Sport, Individual & Society
AB-bygningen, Nørre Allé 55, 2200 København N
I am passionate about sport and its psychological processes, and my research and applied activities are focused on understanding how to leverage our psychological processes to boost athletic and non-athletic performance, why people engage or not in sport and exercise, and which effects sport and exercise exert on our mind, personality and behaviors.
I joined the Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sport (NEXS) in November 2017, and previously worked at the Business and Management Dep. of the LUISS University of Rome, Dep. of Psychology at the California State University San Marcos, University of Lausanne, School of Behavioral and Organizational Sciences at the Claremont Graduate University and at the Dep. of Psychology of Developmental and Social Processes at Sapienza University of Rome, where I also earned his BSc, MSc and PhD. I am a licensed Sport and Clinical Psychologist and Psychotherapist specialized in Metacognitive Interpersonal Therapy and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy.
Primary fields of research
My main research interests and applied activities are related to:
- the study of psychological skills training and its effects on athletic and non-athletic peak performance and talent growth and expression.
- the study of communication and persuasion processes in sport and health through the use of new technologies (e.g., wearables devices and fitness trackers) to understand how to promote healthy lifestyles, from nutrition to physical activity and mental wellbeing.
- the study of leadership and group processes (relationships, behaviors and norms) to understand their effects on teams and team sports processes.
- the study of people-environment interactions and reciprocal influences in promoting health and sustainable behaviors.
In my teaching I blend different modalities (classic and online video-lectures, seminars, group work, case study discussions, invited guests and applied filed work), since I believe in active learning and active participation of students. My courses at NEXS are:
Bachelor i idræt og fysisk aktivitet (Bachelor in Sport and Physical Activity):
- Sport Psychology and Identity
- Coaching and Team Development
Kandidatuddannelsen i humanistisk-samfundsvidenskabelig idrætsvidenskab (Master in Humanities and Social Sciences in Sport Science):
- Psychological Aspects of Competitive Sports