Emil Holms Kanal 6
2300 København S
Petra Daryai-Hansen is associate professor and coordinator of cross disciplinary courses and degrees at the Department of English, German and Romance Studies, University of Copenhagen.
Her main research area is foreign language education with specific focus on plurilingual education, Content and Language Integrated Learning, intercultural education and teacher/student cognition.
Since 2009, she has been involved in several Danish and international collaboration research projects, e.g. the projects Framework of Reference for Pluralistic Approaches to Languages and Cultures (European Centre for Modern Languages, Council of Europe), Elevernes internationale kompetencer i de gymnasiale uddannelser (Danish Ministry of Education), Sprogprofilerne i fransk, spansk og tysk (Roskilde University), Den sprogstrategiske satsning - flere sprog til flere studerende (University of Copenhagen), Developing teacher competences for pluralistic approaches (European Centre for Modern Languages, Council of Europe), Education for plurilingualism: Metalinguistic awareness in early instructed language learning (National Research Foundation Norway) and INTERREG projects focusing on language skills and intercultural competences in the Danish-German Fehmarn Belt region Den Mentale bro, Belt Science, kultKIT and KursKultur.
In a Danish and Nordic/Baltic context she has been coordinating the projects
- Developing the Language Awareness approach in the Nordic and Baltic countries (financed by Nordplus Horizontal)
- Tidligere sprogstart - ny begynderdidaktik med fokus på flersprogethed (financed by A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine McKinney Møllers Fond til Almene Formaal)
- Developing Early Foreign Language Learning and Teaching in the Nordic/Baltic Context (financed by Nordplus Horizontal)
- Kvalitetsudvikling og efteruddannelse i et brobygningsperspektiv – en behovsanalyse i faget tysk (financed by NCFF)
- Tyskelevernes og -studerendes kognition (financed by NCFF).
The next three years she will be coordinating two projects:
- Plurilingual Education – Minority and Majority Students' Language Awareness across Educational Levels (financed by the Independent Research Fund Denmark)
- CLIL in Languages Other Than English – Successful Transitions across Educational Stages (financed by European Centre for Modern Languages, Council of Europe).
In 2021, she has coordinated the "Digital series of talks on plurilingualism and interculturality". Furthermore, she has been a member of the Councl of Europe's Working Group for preparing a Draft Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers on the contribution of plurilingual education to democracy.
At the Faculty of Humanities Petra Daryai-Hansen's research is used as an example of the impact the humanities researchers have on society. Read the case: Building bridges between languages.
Foreign language education, IKM, sociolinguistics