Associate Professor, Associate Professor - Promotion Programme
Office hours on Department of Psychology: Thursdays 15:00-16:00
Primary fields of research
Head of the Cognition, Intention, and Action Group (CoInAct)
Head of Study: BSc in Cognitive Data Science
My research is focused on a number of issues in philosophy of action (mind), philosophy of psychology, and philosophy of science.
- Philosophy of action/mind: Agent’s knowledge, intentions, prospective memory, control of action, sense of agency, rationality.
- Philosophy of psychology/cognitive neuroscience: Individuation of computational mechanisms, under-determination problems in cognitive neuroscience, measurement and construct validation.
Selected Publications (for a full list)
Philosophy of action and mind:
- Lange, V., & Grünbaum, T. (2023). Transparency and the mindfulness opacity hypothesis. The Philosophical Quarterly. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2022). Responsibility for Forgetting To Do. Erkenntnis. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T., & Kyllingsbæk, S. (2020). Is Remembering to do a Special Kind of Memory? Review of Philosophy and Psychology, 11(issue 2), 385-404. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2013). Seeing what I am doing. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 86(2), 295-318. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2009). Anscombe and Practical Knowledge of What is Happening. Grazer Philosophische Studien, 78, 41-67. [publisher]
Philosophy of psychology/cognitive neuroscience:
Lange, V & Grünbaum, T 2023, 'Measurement scepticism, construct validation, and methodology of well-being theorising', Ergo: An Open Access Journal of Philosophy, vol. 10, no. 33. [publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2021). The Two Visual Systems Hypothesis and Contrastive Underdetermination. Synthese, 198, 4045-4068. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2017). The Perception-Action Model: Counting Computational Mechanisms. Mind & Language, 32(4), 416-445. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. (2015). The feeling of agency hypothesis: a critique. Synthese, 192(10), 3313-3337. [pdf / publisher]
Experimental and theoretical work in cognitive psychology/neuroscience:
- Grünbaum, T., Oren, F., & Kyllingsbæk, S. (2021). A new cognitive model of long-term memory for intentions. Cognition, 215, 104817. [pdf / publisher]
- Grünbaum, T. & Christensen, M.S. (2020). Measures of Agency. Neuroscience of Consciousness, 6(1): niaa019. [publisher]
- Christensen, M. S., & Grünbaum, T. (2018). Sense of agency for movements. Consciousness and Cognition, 65, 27-47. [pdf / publisher]
- Christiansen, J. H., Christensen, J. H., Grünbaum, T., & Kyllingsbæk, S. (2014). A Common Representation of Spatial Features Drives Action and Perception: Grasping and Judging Object Features within Trials. PloS one, 9(5), 1-14. [e94744]. [publisher]
- Overgaard, M., & Grünbaum, T. (2012). Cognitive and non-cognitive conceptions of consciousness. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 16(3), 137. [publisher]
Selected Public Outreach
For selected opinion pieces, popular science, interviews, and podcasts, see here: https://psychology.ku.dk/coinact/outreach/.
Major Research Grants
- Carlsberg Foundation Semper Ardens 2023-2025: "Selection in Cognition" (DKK 19,004,613). PIs: Søren Kyllingsbæk and Thor Grünbaum).
- DFF 2023-2027: "Theory Crisis in Cognitive Neuroscience" (DKK 2,879,301). PI: Thor Grünbaum).
- DFF 2020-2024: CO-PI on collaborative research project (DKK 6,191,343): "The functional role of perception of movements" (with Associate Professor of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen, Mark Schram Christensen (PI)).
- DFF 2016-2022: PI on collaborative research project (DKK 5,670,757): "Intention, Selection, and Agency" (with Professor of Psychology, University of Copenhagen, Søren Kyllingsbæk).
- DFF 2012-2015: Co-PI on collaborative research project (DKK 6,254,816): “Phenomenal Consciousness and Cognitive Motor Control” (with Associate Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience, Aarhus University, Morten Overgaard (PI)).
- DFF 2010-2014: Co-PI on collaborative research project (DKK 7,783,200): “Intentional action, attention to objects, and working memory” (with Associate Professor of Psychology, University of Copenhagen, Søren Kyllingsbæk (PI)).
Service to profession
- Executive secretary, European Society for Philosophy and Psychology (2023-)
- Associate Editor of Philosophical Explorations (2015-)
- Referee for public and private research foundations: European Research Council, The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, The Welcome Foundation
- Ad hoc reviewer: Mind, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Philosophical Studies, Synthese, Philosophical Quarterly, Mind & Language, Philosophical Psychology
- President of Danish Society for Philosophy and Psychology (2009-)
Teaching and supervision
I teach and supervise in most areas of theoretical philosophy: philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, epistemology, metaphysics, and philosophy of language. Students are more than welcome to contact me if they want to know more or to discuss ideas or questions about their thesis.
I also teach and supervise in our cognitive science programme, BSc Cognitive Data Science.
Recently taught courses:
- Advanced Introduction to Philosophy of Action, Spring 2021: Course Schedule.
- Science and Society, Fall 2021: Course Schedule.
- Philosophy of Science - Special topic: Climate Science, Fall 2020: Course Schedule.
- Confirmation Theory and Hypothesis Testing, Spring 2016: Course Schedule.
- Philosophy of Action, Spring 2015: Course Schedule.
- Philosophy of Psychology, Fall 2014: Course Schedule.
- Videnskabsfilosofi (Philosophy of Science), Spring 2023: Course Schedule.
- Sprogfilosofi (Philosophy of Language), Spring 2022: Course Schedule.
- Bevidsthedsfilosofi (Philosophy of Mind), Fall 2016: Course Schedule.