Ridebanevej 9, 1870 Frederiksberg C
1979 Graduated from Aurehøj Statsgymnasium.
1986 M.sci. in chemistry (civil engineer) from Technical University of Denmark.
1991 Ph.D. in biochemistry from Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Technical University of Denmark
- Danish Ministery of Patents ( 1.10.86-31.11.87)
- Research assistant, Dept. of Biochemistry and Nutrition, DTU (1.12.87- 31.05.91)
- Post Doc., Dept. of Biochemistry and Nutrition, DTU (1.06.91- 31.12.93)
- Assistant professor, Dept. of Biochemistry and Nutrition (1.01.94-31.12.96)
- Associate professor, Biocentrum-DTU, Biochemistry and Nutrition Group (1.01.97-30.11.08)
- Professor, Dept. for Basic Sciences and Environment, Life Faculty, Copenhagen University (01.12.08-
- Maternal leaves 15.09.97-1.06.98 and 1.09.01-1.08.02
Main research activities:
Nutritional immunology: the effect of food components on the immune system, with special emphasis on microorganisms, lipids, and bioactive proteins, and their effects, singly or in combination, on cellular in vitro responses (dendritic cells, monocytes, Tcells, and NK cells; human and murine), in vivo and ex vivo upon feeding (animal studies and human intervention studies). Effect of food matrix on the immune response against food proteins. Production of antibodies and development of antibody-based analyses.
Scientific production: Approx. 70 peer reviewed papers and book chapters + over 200 abstract contributions (posters/oral communications) at national and international meetings .
Scientific, Teaching and administrative Assignments:
- Head of the Biochemistry and Natural product group (approx 18 persons) at IGM, KU-Life, 2008-.
- Head of the Nutritional Immunology Group (approx. 20 persons) in CBS, DTU Biosys, 2005-2008
- Teaching areas: Nutrition, biochemistry, immunochemistry, immunology, biotechnology, and functional food.
- PhD supervisor/co-supervisor: 22 PhD students , opponent for 10 PhD students .
- Supervisor for 76 graduate and 27 bachelor students, examiner for 27 graduate/bachelor students
- Responsible for the animal facility at DTU Biosys 2003-2008
- Enrolled in the corps of censors at Copenhagen and Aalborg Universities 1997-.
- Technical assessor, DANAK, GLP and ISO 17025, 1993-.
- Visiting professor at University of Milan, Italy, 2005-
- Reviewer of the research council of Austria and Norway.
- Member of the steering committee of the Nutrigenomics Platform, 2005-
- Member of Functional Food Network (Danish Industries), 2007-, the Danish Dairy Board, 2008, 'Sund Vækst' board, Øresund Food Network, 2008-2009 .
Scientific and teaching focus areas
Research: Studies of how dietary components, food related microorganisms and environmental microbiota affect the immune system of the host. Current teaching: immune system, nutrition, biotechnology and IPR.
Around 150 peer reviewed papers and book chapters, 25 proceedings/popular science papers, and over 200 abstract contributions (posters/oral communications). H index: 35, ~4200 citations (Web of Science).
Recent collaborators:Prof. F.Bomomi and S Iametti, Milano University, Prof E deJong, Amsterdam University, Prof. S.Gugliemetti, Milano University, Prof Tor Lea, NMBU, Norge, P.Reading, Melbourne University, S. Goriely Universite Libre de Bruxelle. H Grewall, Bergen University. Prof. A-S Sandberg, Chalmers, Göteborg. Visiting professor, Milano University.
Supervision of PhD students and postdocs
- PhD and post doc supervisor/co-supervisor: 32 PhD students and 11 post docs.
- Opponent for >30 PhD Students
- Head of the Experimental Animal Research section (~75 employees) at Dept. of Veterinary Disease Biology, KU-Sund, 2014.
- Head of the Biochemistry Group, later Chemistry and Biochemistry Section (approx. 50 persons) at IGM, KU-Life, 2008-2012.
- Head of the Nutritional Immunology Group (approx. 20 persons) DTU Biosys, 2005-2008
- Head of the animal facility at DTU Biosys 2003-2008
- Project leader or WP leader in collaboration project in 20 externally financed projects since 2000.
- Chair, FTP, Independent Research Fund Denmark (2019-2020)
- The legacy of late Director P. Gorm-Petersen 1992 (Ph.D. award) & Danisco award 2006. Yakult award 2011
Conflicts of interests:
I declare no conflicts of interest