Erik A. Richter
The August Krogh Section for Molecular Physiology
Nørre Allé 51, 2200 København N
1984: D.M.Sci., University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
1979: M.D., University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
2012- now: Full professor of Human Physiology and Exercise Physiology, Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
1998-2012: Full Professor of Human Physiology/Exercise Physiology, Institute of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
1997-1998: Full Professor of Human Physiology, August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
1985-1997: Associate Professor of Physiology, August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
1984-1985: Resident at the Copenhagen University Hospital in medicine and surgery.
1979-1983: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Medical Physiology B, University of Copenhagen, Denmark and Division of Diabetes and Metabolism, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. 2 years of this time were spent in Boston.
Personal Awards and Honours
- 2013: Knighted by the Queen of Denmark
- 2012: Honour Award, Biochemistry of Exercise Research Group
- 2012: Novo Nordisk Prize 2012
- 2010: First designated Scandinavian Physiological Society lecturer at the Australian Physiological Society Meeting, Adelaide
- 2010: Doctor Honoris Causa, Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
- 2006: Miegunyah Distinguished Fellowship from University of Melbourne. (October-November)
- 2005: Edward F. Adolph Distinguished Lecturer at the IUPS Conference, San Diego
- 2005: Citation Award of the American college of Sports Medicine
- 2002: Dandy-award for scientific contributions to the understanding of insulin sensitivity
- 1995: "Grosserer Ernst Fischers Award" (private organization for advancement of research in Diabetes)
- 1994: Salary bonus from the University of Copenhagen for good leadership in research
- 1990: "Bernhard Rasmussens Award", Danish Diabetes Association
- 1984: New Investigator Award, American College of Sports Medicine
- 2015: Main organizer of the Copenhagen University lifestyle, obesity and metabolism platform (KU-LOM) first meeting, Copenhagen, May 2015.
- 2012: Member of the organizing committee for the symposium "Exercise, metabolism and insulin sensitivity, Copenhagen, December 2012.
- 2008: Member of the organizing committee of the 5th International AMPK meeting, Copenhagen, August 2008.
- 2007: Member of the organizing committee of the EXGENESIS Summer School, Copenhagen, August 2007.
- 2006: Member of the organizing committee of the 4th International AMPK meeting, Colorado, August 2006.
- 2005: Member of the organizing committee of the satellite symposium to the EASD symposium in Copenhagen 2005: “Effects of exercise on insulin sensitivity: what is new?”
- 2001-2002: Chairman of the local organizing committee of the Baltic Summer School, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1996-1997: Chairman of the organizing committee of the Second Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre Research Symposium.
- 2011-present: Head of the Section of Molecular Physiology, Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports and member of the Board of Directors of the Department, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1997-2011: Head of the Section of Human Physiology, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1997-2007: Head of the Research and Ph.D.-board, Department of Exercise and Sports Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1987-1988 & 1994-1997: Head of Laboratory of Human Physiology, August Krogh Institute.
- 1994-present: Senior Scientist of the Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre.
- 1994-1997: Member of the board of the Danish Endocrine Society.
- 1987-1996: Member of the Research Board of August Krogh Institute.
- 1993-1996: Member of the Ph.D. Board of August Krogh Institute.
- 1994-1996: Member of the Board of August Krogh Institute.
- 1999-present: Editorial Board, Scand. J. of Med. Sci. Sport Exer. (DK)
- 2000-2003: Member of the Editorial board of Diabetes (USA)
- 2005-2011: Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Physiology (USA)
- 2014- 2016: Consulting Editor, Diabetes (USA)
- Mark Hargreaves, PhD student 1989-1990: Now Professor of Physiology, Melbourne University, Australia
- Lorraine Turcotte, postdoc 1990-93: Now professor of Physiology at UCLA Los Angeles, USA
- Peter Hespel, postdoc 1988-1991: Now Professor of Physiology at Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
- Jørgen Wojtaszewski, PhD-student 1995-1998: Now professor in Molecular Signaling, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
- Wim Derave, PhD student, 1998-2001: Now professor of Exercise Physiology, University of Ghent, Belgium
- Jacob N. Nielsen, PhD student 1998-2001 and postdoc 2001-2003: Now Project Vice President at Novo Nordisk, Denmark
- Adam Rose, postdoc 2004-2008: Now junior group leader at German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) Heidelberg Center for Molecular Biology (ZMBH), University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Thomas E. Jensen, postdoc 2007-2011: Now associate professor at Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports, University of Copenhagen
Medical Doctor and D.M.Sci.