Clare Louise Hawkins
Professor with special responsibilities
BSc(Hons) Chemistry, University of York, UK (1993)
PhD Chemistry, University of York, UK (1997)
2015 – 2016 Scientific Director, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
2007 – 2016 Group Leader, Inflammation Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
2011 – 2016 Principal Research Fellow, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
2014 – 2015 Acting Scientific Director, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
2000 – 2007 Senior Research Fellow, Free Radical Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
2004 – 2010 Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney
2001 – 2004 Honorary Academic Research Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney
1997 – 2000 Postdoctoral Research Officer, Free Radical Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
Postgraduate Research Coordination
2009 – 2015 Sub-Dean for Postgraduate Research, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
2012 – 2016 Deputy Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research) / Deputy Chair, Research Sub-Committee of the Combined Board of Postgraduate Studies (Dentistry, Medicine and Pharmacy), University of Sydney
2021- Secretary-General, Society for Free Radical Research (Europe)
2013-2014 President of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
2010-2012 President-Elect of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
2004 – 2007 Secretary of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
Editorial Board Positions
Associate Editor, Biochemistry Society Transactions
Editorial Boards of Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Biochemical Journal, Redox Report
Scientific Peer-Review Committees
2013-2015 Chair NHMRC Biomedical Early Career Fellowship Peer-review Panel
2013 National Heart Foundation (NHF) Collaboration and Exchange Award Panel
2012 Grant Review Panel (Cardiovascular Disease and Nephrology) NHMRC
2012 Vice-Chair of the NHF Biomedical Scholarships Committee
2009 - 2011 National Heart Foundation Travel Award Committee
2005 – 2011 NHMRC Training Awards Committee (Panel Chair in 2006 – 2008)
Organisation of Scientific Meetings (last 5 years)
- Co-vice Chair, Gordon Conference on Oxygen Radicals, to be held in Ventura, USA, February 2022.
- Symposium Organiser and co-Chair "Inflammation and vascular biology", Scandinavian Society for Atherosclerosis Research, April 2021.
- Symposium Organiser and Chair "Regulatory role of RNA/DNA oxidation and its functional significance in disease", Society for Redox Biology and Medicine (SfRBM) 25th Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, November 2018.
- Scientific Advisory Committee, 10th International Human Peroxidase Meeting, Denver, Colorado, USA, August 2017.
- Program Committee for the Society for Redox Biology and Medicine (SfRBM) 24th Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, USA, November 2017.
- Symposium Co-Chair “Dual role of oxidants generated by leukocyte enzymes in health and disease”, 18th Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Free Radical Research, San Francisco, USA, November 2016.