Universitetsparken 5, 2100 København Ø
Assessment, Teaching and Learning in Science Education
I do research in learning, teaching and education in the Sciences with a focus on Physics; primarily in upper-secondary and university education. I am particularly interested in the use of digital and other technologies in teaching and in a broader educational context. Recently, I have become interested in Learning Analytics and how we as researchers can use big data to understand and improve our educational system across education levels. Methodically, I often use network analysis. Feel free to contact me if you want to know more.
Primary fields of research
Physics and science didactics
This part of my research relies in part on collaborating with upper-secondary teachers and university faculty to develop teaching and in part on finding, testing and analyzing new methods and technologies in teaching. In addition to these class and course level analyses, my research analyzes other levels - for example mapping of teacher and student characteristics, development and choice across institutions.
Networks in didactic research
It is difficult to analyze teaching, and it is especially difficult to find quantitative goals that make the insight into the complex teaching situation. Network science offers ways to capture complex patterns, and networks are used in sociology, biology, computer science and physics - and since 2007 also in didactic research. I use networks to capture both social, systemic and cognitive relationships.
Currently I am working on
- E-learning behaviours in physics
- Analyzing students' academic and social networks.
- Analyzing multiple choice test FCI (Force Concept Inventory) using network analysis.
- Analyzing Swedish students' socio-scientific discussions using linguistic networks.
- Analyzing students' use of web tasks with network analysis.
- Identifying student flow in courses at the faculty of SCIENCE, that is, the flow of students from course to course.
- Designing and developing an understanding of kinesthetic exercises in physics.
- Relating kinesthetic exercises to other ways of understanding the physics phenomena
I teach the science and physics didactics in the courses Basic Course in Science Didactics and Physics Didactics. Furthermore, I teach Introduction to University Pædagogy.
I supervise bachelor and thesis projects, often within the topics of either testing formats for the development of teaching, the use of digital technology in education, kinesthetic exercises and network analysis in science education research.
Fields of interest
Using networks in educational research
The interplay between cognitive and social learning processes in science
Modes/forms of representation
(The interplay between quantitative and qualitative measures for learning)