Iain Andrew Greenwood
Physiology of circulation, kidney and lung
Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 København N, 7.9, Building: 26
- 2012: Fellow of the British Pharmacological Society
- 2009: Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education
- 1994: PhD in Physiology & Pharmacology from the University of Manchester.
- Supervisor: Professor A. Weston. Title: ‘Investigation into the mechanism of action underlying the relaxation of vascular tissues by the K-channel opener levcromakalim’
- 1990: Bsc (Hons) First Class in Applied Biology (Physiology / Pharmacology). University of Hertfordshire. Awarded SmithKline Beecham Prize for academic excellence.
- June 2008: Reader in Pharmacology at St George’s , University of London.
- August 2003: Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology at St George’s Hospital Medical School, London.
- January 2002-July 2003: Continuation of Wellcome Trust Fellowship
- January 2001 to January 2002: Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Physiology & Cell Biology, University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA with Prof B. Horowitz.
- June 1998: Awarded a 4 year Research Career Development Fellowship by The Wellcome Trust.
- January 1994 - June 1998: Post-doctoral position in the Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, St George’s Hospital Medical School, London.
- KhanamiriS, SoltysinskaE, JeppsTA, BentzenBH, ChadhaPS, SchmittN, GreenwoodIA, OlesenSP. (2013). Kv7 channels are major determinants of basal coronary flow and active response to ischemia. Accepted by Hypertension.
- Ho W, Davis AJ, Chadha PS & Greenwood IA (2013). Effective contractile effect of voltage-gated Na+ channels revealed by a channel activator. Accepted by Am J Physiol-Cell 304(8):C739-47
- Davis AJ, Shi J, Pritchard HAT, Chadha PS, Leblanc N, Vasilikostas G, Yao Z, Verkman AS, Albert AP & Greenwood IA. (2013). Potent vasorelaxant activity of the TMEM16A inhibitor T16Ainh-A01. Br J Pharmacol, 168, 773-784
- Jepps TA, Olesen SP & Greenwood IA. (2013). One man's side effect is another man's therapeutic opportunity: Targeting Kv7 channels in smooth muscle disorders. Br J Pharmacol, 168, 19-27
- Forrest AS, Joyce TC, Huebner ML, Ayon RJ, Wiwchar M, Davis AJ, Ye L, Duan DD, Singer CA, Valencik ML, Greenwood IA, & Leblanc N. (2012). ClCa/TMEM16A Channel Currents are Up Regulated in Pulmonary Arterial Smooth Muscle from Monocrotaline-Induced Pulmonary Hypertensive Rats. Am J Physiol-Cell, 303(12):C1229-4
- Harhun MI, Huggins CL, Ratnasingham K, Raje D, Moss RF, Szewczyk K, Vasilikostas G, Greenwood IA, Khong TK, Wan A, Reddy M. (2012). Resident Phenotypically Modulated Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells in Healthy Human Arteries. J Cell Mol Med. 16(11): 2802-12
- Angermann JE, Forrest AS, Greenwood IA, Leblanc N. (2012). Activation of Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) channels by store-operated Ca(2+) entry in arterial smooth muscle cells does not require reverse-mode Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchange. Can J Physiol Pharmacol; 90(7): 903-21.
- ChadhaPS, ZunkeF, ZhuHL, JeppsTA, DavisAJ, OlesenSP, ColeWC, MoffattJD &. GreenwoodIA (2012).reduced Kv7.4 activity underlies impaired b-adrenoceptor-mediated relaxation of renal arteries in hypertension. Hypertension. 59(4):877-84
- ChadhaPS, ZunkeF, DavisAJ, JeppsTA, Linders JTM, Schwake M, Towart R &. GreenwoodIA (2012).Pharmacological dissection of Kv7.1 channels in systemic and pulmonary arteries. British Journal of Pharmacology, 166 1377–1387
- Greenwood IA (2011). Intricate vascular architecture revealed after removing the scaffolding: PSD95 crucial for vascular Kv1 function J Physiol, 589 (24):5901
- Mistry HD, McCallum LA, Kurlak LO, Greenwood IA, Broughton Pipkin F, Tribe RM. (2011). Novel Expression and Regulation of Voltage-dependent Potassium (Kv7) Channels in Placentae from Women with Preeclampsia. Accepted by Hypertension, 58(3), 497-504.
- Jepps TA, Chadha PS, Davis AJ, Harhun MI, Cockerill GW, Olesen SP, Hansen RS & Greenwood IA. (2011). Downregulation of Kv7.4 channel activity in primary and secondary hypertension. Circulation 124:602-611.
- McCallum LA, Pierce SL, England SK, Greenwood IA, & Tribe RM (2011). The contribution of Kv7 channels to pregnant mouse and human myometrial contractility. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Vol 15, No 3, 2011 pp. 577-586
- Ng FL, Davis AJ, Jepps TA, Harhun MI, Yeung, SY Wan A,Reddy M, Melville D, Nardi A, Khong T, Greenwood IA. (2011). Identification of KCNQ gene expression and functional impact in human abdominal blood vessels. British Journal of Pharmacology 162(1):42-53.
- Davis AJ, Forrest, AS. Jepps TA, Valencik ML, Sones WR, Greenwood IA, & Leblanc N. (2010). Identification of TMEM16A as a molecular candidate for Ca2+ -activated Cl- channels in murine smooth muscle. Am J Physiol-Cell, 299: C948–C959
- Zhong XZ, Harhun MI, Olesen SP, Ohya S, Moffatt JD, Cole WC, Greenwood IA. (2010). Participation of KCNQ (Kv7) Potassium Channels in Myogenic Control of Cerebral Arterial Diameter. Journal of Physiology.588.: 3277–3293
- Forrest AS, Angermann JE, Raghunathan R, Lachendro C, Greenwood IA, Leblanc N. (2010). Intricate interaction between store-operated calcium entry and calcium-activated chloride channels in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Adv Exp Med Biol.;661:31-55.
- Sones WR, Davis AJ, Leblanc N & Greenwood IA. (2010). Cholesterol depletion alters amplitude and pharmacology of vascular calcium-activated chloride channels. Cardiovascular Research. 87(3):476-84.
- Ayon, R., Sones, W., Forrest, A. S., Wiwchar, M., Valencik, M. L., Sanguinetti, A. R., Perrino, B. A. Greenwood, IA, & N. Leblanc (2009). Complex phosphatase regulation of Ca2+-activated Cl- currents in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells. J Biol. Chem. 284(47):32507-21
- Wichawr M, Ayon, R, Greenwood IA & Leblanc N. The Pharmacology of Ca2+-Activated Cl- Channels In Rabbit Pulmonary Arterial Smooth Muscle Cells is Altered by Phosphorylation (2009). British Journal of Pharmacology, 158(5):1356-65
- Jepps T, Greenwood IA, Moffatt, JD, Sanders KM & Ohya S (2009). Molecular and functional characterization of Kv7 K+ channel in murine gastrointestinal smooth muscles. American Journal of Physioogy-Gastrointestine, 297, G107-G115.
- Sones, WR, Leblanc, N & Greenwood IA. (2009).Inhibition of vascular calcium-gated chloride currents by blockers of KCa1.1 but not by modulators of KCa2.1 or KCa2.3 channels. British Journal of Pharmacology, 158, 521-531
- Greenwood IA, Yeung SY, Tribe RM, & Ohya S. (2009). Loss of functional K+ channels encoded by ether-a-go-go-related genes in mouse myometrium prior to labour onset. Journal of Physiology, 587, 2313-2326.
- Greenwood IA & Ohya S (2009). New tricks for old dogs: KCNQ expression and function in smooth muscle. British Journal of Pharmacology,156, 1196-1203.
- Greenwood IA, Yeung SYM, Hettiarachi S, Andersson M, Baines DL. (2009). KCNQ-encoded channels regulate Na+ transport across H441 lung epithelial cells. Pflugers Archiv 457:785-94
- McCallum LA, Greenwood IA & Tribe RM. (2009). Expression and function of Kv7 channels in murine myometrium throughout the oestrus cycle. Pflugers Archiv 457, 1111-1120
- Greenwood IA. (2008). Simply the Best? Identity of Vascular cGMP-Dependent Cl Current Revealed. Editorial in Circulation. Research;103;782-783
- Yeung SYM, Lange W., Schwake M, & Greenwood IA. (2008). Expression profile and characterisation of a truncated KCNQ5 splice variant. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications,371(4), 741-746.
- Yeung SYM, Schwake M, Pucovský V, & Greenwood IA. (2008). Bimodal effects of the Kv7 channel activator retigabine on vascular K+ currents. British Journal of Pharmacology, 155, 62-72.
- Tyrrell E, TesfaKH, GreenwoodIA, & Mann A. (2008). The Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of a Range of Novel Halogenated Benzopyrans as Potential Potassium Channel Activators. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 18, 1237-1240.
- Yeung SYM, Pucovský V, Moffatt JD, Saldanha L, Schwake M, Ohya S & Greenwood IA. (2007). Molecular expression and pharmacological identification of a role for Kv7 channels in murine vascular reactivity. British Journal of Pharmacology, 151, 758-770.
- Saleh SN, Angermann JE, Sones WR, Leblanc N & Greenwood IA. (2007). Stimulation of Ca2+-Gated Cl- Currents by the Calcium-Dependent K+ Channel Modulators NS1619 and isopimaric acid. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 321(3), 1075-1083.
- Greenwood IA & Leblanc N (2007). Overlapping pharmacology of Ca2+–activated Cl- and K+ channels. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, 28, 1-5.
- Yeung SYM & Greenwood IA. (2007). Pharmacological and biophysical isolation of K+ currents encoded by ether-a-go-go related genes in murine hepatic portal vein smooth muscle cells. American Journal of Physiology. 292, C468-476.