Rigshospitalet - Diagnostisk Center, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 København Ø
Department of Clinical Physiology, Nuclear Medicine & PET, Rigshospitalet
University of Copenhagen
Phone: +45 3545 4215 or +45 3545 1792
Head of Department Rigshospitalet, Department of Clinical Physiology, Nuclear Medicine & PET, University of Copenhagen from 2000. Global Excellence, 160 publications, 120,000 investigations, staff 250. https://goo.gl/v634er
Professor in Medical Technology, University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Health Sciences.
Adjunct Professor in Advanced Imaging, DTU, The Technical University of Denmark.
Chairman of The Board of The Danish National Research Foundation. http://issuu.com/dnrf/docs/dnrf-annual-report-2014
Born in Copenhagen 1957, Baccalaureate Denmark 1975, MD University of Copenhagen 1982.
Clinical education Copenhagen University hospitals in medical gastroenterology and clinical physiology & nuclear medicine. Specialist in clinical physiology & nuclear medicine 1990.
Doctor of Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen 1991.
Consultant Hvidovre Hospital 1994, Dept. of Clinical Physiology & Nuclear medicine.
Consultant Rigshospitalet 1998, Dept. of Clinical Physiology, Nuclear Medicine and PET.
Head of Department, Chief Physician from 2000.
INSEAD Fontainebleau, ledership course AWIRA, 2001-2002.
In 2015 chair of the Danish National Task Force for strenghtening women in science, appointed by the Danish Minister.
Chair of the board of the Danish National Research Foundation covering all research areas from science, technology and medicine to social science and humanities. Special theme in the foundation about research integrity and ethics.
Editor-in-chief Ugeskrift for Læger, the national medical journal in Denmark 1996-2002. (Weekly circulation 25,000 and 5,000 pages anually and PubMed indexed). Member of the Vancouver group (ICMJE), Chair in 2000 when the authorship criteria were changed. Author of the “Uniform Requirements” Vancouver guidelines 2001.
Research active since medical school in medical technology related to gastro¬enterology, pathophysiology, clinical physiology, nuclear medicine and PET. Supervision of >30 Bachelor-, Master- and PhD candidates. >200 peer review publications, in total 350 publications. Research evaluation and peer review internationally,
Active in teaching pre- and postgraduate since 1980’ies. Founder of the new education at DTU and University of Copenhagen in biomedical engineering.
A broad portfolio of positions in Danish and international medical societies, government councils and advisory boards. International positions as Chair of ESFRI BMS Working Group in Clinical and Translational research.
Previous: Editor in Chief of the Danish Medical Journal and member and chair of The Vancouver Group, The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. Editor Nordic Medical Journal.
Chair of The European Medical Research Councils, 2006-2012.
Chair of The Standing Committee of The European Medical Research Councils, EMRC, at ESF, The European Science Foundation, Strasbourg, France , 2006-2012.
Chair of the EU Science Advisory Board The European Commission, Health Research, 2010-2012. Chair of the Science Advisory Board, The European Commission from 2010, Health, Demographic Changes & Wellbeing.
From 2013 Chairman of the Board of The Danish National Research Foundation. http://issuu.com/dnrf/docs/dnrf-annual-report-2014
Knighthood (Ridder af Dannebrog), Denmark, 2007. Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur, France, 2015.
- >200 research publications in gastroenterology, pathophysiology, nuclear medicine and PET. In total 400 publications, including articles on research policy, methodology, strategy etc.
- International scientific lectures: >100 as invited/key-note speaker. 20 book chapters
- Supervisor 30 PhD, bachelor and master candidates. Evaluator of numerous master, PhD and DMSc thesis in Denmark and internationally
- President for The Medical Society of Copenhagen, founded 1772, from 2000-2002
- Member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences & Letters, Member of ATV, The Academy for Technical Sciences, Denmark, Member of the European Academy for Cancer Sciences, The European Cancer Concord and professional scientific societies: EANM, SNM, DSKFNM.
Awards and Honours
- The Grant of Honour of Kathrine and Jakob Madsen 1999
- The Grant of Honour of Minister Erna Hamilton for Science and Art 2000
- The Prize of Honour for Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, DK, 2001
- The Medico Prize, DK, 2004
- The Niels A. Lassen Prize, 2005
- The Klein Award, The Medical Society of Copenhagen 2010
- The Ib Henriksen Prize, 2011.
- Knighthood (Ridder af Dannebrog), Denmark, 2007. Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur, France. 2015.
- Danish Member of ESFRI BMS Working Group 2003-2006
- Chair of the Expert Group on Clinical and Translational Medical Research under ESFRI,
- The European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructure, assisted by advisor Prof. Fotis Kafatos from ERC and Imperial College, 2003-2006
- Chair of The Standing Committee of the European Medical Research Councils EMRC, ESF, The European Science Foundation, Strasbourg, 2006-2012.
- Member of The Science Advisory Board, ECRIN, Paris, 2006-2012.
- Member of The Science Advisory Board, ESF, 2007-2011.
Research Policy Advice
- Member of BioVision, The World Life Sciences Forum, France, from 2010.
- Member of the Science Advisory Board, Deutsche Krebsforschungs Zentrum, DKFZ, Heidelberg, 2011-2015.
- Member of the Science Advisory Board, VUMC, Free University Medical Center, Amster-dam, Bioimaging, 2009.
- Member OECD Global Science Forum. Clinical Research, 2009-11.
- Chair, Copenhagen Research Forum, from 2011.
- Member of ESOF Steering Committee, 2012-2014.
- Member of WHO, European Research Advisory Committee, 2013-2014.
- Chair of the Advisory Board, Health Research for The European Commission, Bruxelles, 2010-2012. Budget ~ 1 bio € annually.
- Member of the Science Advisory Board, IMI, The Innovative Medicines Initiative, Bruxelles, from 2008-2011.
- Membré Conseil d’Administration, INSERM, “Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale”, France from 2009. Annual Budget ~ 1 bio €.
- Chair of the Horizon 2020 Advisory Group, the European Commission, Societal Challenge 1: “Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing” from 2013. Budget ~ 1 bio € annually.
- Advisor to the French Government 2015-2016: “Medicin du future”, strategic Highl Level Group to the Ministers of Health, Science and Economy.
- Chair, reelected second term Advisory Group, EC Horizon 2020, Societal Challenge 1: “Health, Demographic change and Wellbeing” from 2016.
Research councils and advice, Denmark
- Chairman of The Board of The Danish National Research Foundation. http://issuu.com/dnrf/docs/dnrf-annual-report-2014
- President of The Royal Medical Society of Copenhagen, founded 1772. (Member of the board from 1992, president 2000-2002).
- Member of The Danish Ministry of Justice, Animal Research Council, from 1999.
- Member of The Danish Cancer Society, Medical and Science Advisory Board 2000-2006.
- Member of The Danish Research Policy Council, from 2004.
- Member of AFI, Working group for Research Infrastructure in Denmark, 2003-2006.
- Member ESOF Copenhagen 2014.
- Member Danish Regions and Capital Region of Copenhagen’s,
- Cancer Steering Committees, 2010-
- Member of the Cancer Steering Committee, Danish Regions, 2010-
- Member of Advisory Board, KU life, Dept. of Food Science, Faculty of Life Science, 2008-2011.
- Member of Advisory Board, DTU, 2010-2012.
- Science Advisory Board of the Niels Bohr Archive from 2014
- Member of the Board of The Arvid Nilssons’ Foundation, Denmark.
- Medical expert The Danish Medicinal Agency 1987-1993.
- Medical expert for Consultant for The European Medicinal Agency 1990-1993 for the mutual recognition process of Radiopharmaceuticalls.
- Sundhedsfagligt Råd, Chair 1999-2005. Vicechair 2012-
Member of Scientific Societies
- Elected member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters.
- Elected member of ATV, The Academy of Techical Sciences, Denmark
- Elected member of The European Academy of Cancer Science
- Elected member of The European Cancer Concord
- The Medical Society of Copenhagen
- Danish Society for Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
- Danish Society for Gastroenterology
- Danish Society for Hepatology
- Danish Society for Magnetic Resonans
- The Society for Theoretical and Applied Therapy (Selskabet for Teoretisk og Anvendt Terapi)
- Scandinavian Association for Gastroenterology and Endoscopy
- EANM (European Society of Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging)
- SNM (Society of Nuclear Medicine, US)
- The American Society for Molecular Imaging
Grants and research funding
Grants and research funding from private and public Danish and international foundations and research councils for 300 mio DKK. Most recent years: In 2007 24.8 mio DKK from The Danish Research Council: High Technology Foundation, together with Prof. Andreas Kjær, and the Danish biotech company TopoTarget. In 2007 received 20.5 mio DKK from The John and Birthe Meyer Foundation for a new HRRT dedicated brain PET scanner. In 2007 from EU FP7 ESFRI research infrastructure program, Molecular imaging Nordic Node, together with Professor An-dreas Kjær. In 2011 from The John and Birthe Meyer Foundation 35 mio DKK for an integrated PET/MRI scanner.
The Strategic Research Council, 2012, 12 mio. DKK together with Prof. Andreas Kjær, and grant the Advanced Technology Foundation, Novo Nordisk, 30 mio DKK (2012).
Research Evaluation – Peer Review Panels
- Member of the peer review panel for the medical program, ESRF, The European Syncrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble.
- Member of the peer review panel for DKFZ, Deutches Krebs Forschungs Zentrum, Heidelberg
- Member of the peer review panel for Diagnostic Imaging and Radiation Therapy, University of Zürich
- Evaluator for several Danish and international research foundations and prize committees.
- Professor- and lecture evaluations in Denmark and internationally.
- Chair The Scientific Committee KFJ-Award, The Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
- Professor, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine, Lunds University, 2011.
- Professor, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine, Oslo University, 2011.
- Professor, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear medicine, Medical University of Vienna, 2012.
- Center of Excellence, Guy’s & St. Thomas Charity, London.
Master, PhD and Dr.Med.Sci. supervision
- OSVAL II study, Medical Student Peter Hovind 1995, “Abdominal angina” .
- MD Helle Westergren Hendel, “Galdestenspatogenetiske faktorer i relation til kropssammensætning og fedtvævs topografi, glukosetolerance og insulinsensitivitet hos adipositas patienter”. PhD grade, University of Copenhagen 1997.
- MD Helle Vestergaard, ”Galdestenssmerter og galdemotilitet”, PhD grade University of Copenhagen 1999.
- Scholarstipend, Medical Student Birgitte Klee, “PET og kliniske undersøgelser af hjernetumorer”, 2000.
- MD Erik Feldager Hansen, PhD ”Endoskopisk ultralyd”, University of Copenhagen 2000.
- MD Annika Eigtved, ”18F DHT in PET”, PhD University of Copenhagen 2001.
- OSVAL II studie, Medical Student Malene Bjerrregaard Fischer. „PET og lungecancer, et litteraturstudie“. Published Lancet Oncology.
- OSVAL I study, Medical Student Camilla Bardram. “PET diagnostic”.2005.
- Minna Vibe, Specialist study in human biology. “Ekspression af regulatorer involvereti i sukkerstofskifte og angiogenese i småcellet lungecancer in vivo og in vitro” (mark A+ or in Danish 13). Published Neoplasia. PhD University of Copenhagen 2006: “Evaluation and modulation of angiogenesis and tumor physiology”.
- MD Lise Borgwardt,”PET with MRI co-registration and image fusion in children with CNS-tumors”. PhD University of Copenhagen. 2004.
- Scholar stipend, Medical Student Julie Bjerglund Andersen, „MIBG scintigraphy and SPECT/CT compared to PET/CT for diagnosis, staging and treatment monitoring in children with neuroblastom“, 2007, KU.
- Master Student, Biomedical Engineer Oline Vinter Olesen, “Motion correction in High Resolution PET brain imaging”, 2007, DTU + KU.
- MD, PhD Martin Græbe, Identification of the vulnerable arterisclerotic plaque with PET/CT”, 2010
- Cand.Scient PhD Student Martin Bech, Niels Bohr Institute, co-supervisor. “Compact Light Source for medical purposes” 2009, NAT KU.
- Cand.Scient PhD Student Torben Hougaard Jensen. “Compact Light Source for medical purposes”, 2010, NAT KU.
- Master Students, Biomedical Engineers Benjamin Janjooa and Martin Lyngby Lassen, “Non Invasive quantification of blood flow in the brain”, 2010, DTU + KU.
- Master Student, Biomedical Engineer, Jawid Rezaie, “Clinical Potentials and Dosimetric Accuracy of Rotational Sterotactic HybridArcTM Radiotherapy”, 2011.
- Master Students, Biomedical Engineers Jonas S.Hermansen & Uffe T.Jørgensen, “Lu-177 treatment of patients with neuroendocrine tumours: Aspects of dosimetry from consecutive gathered patients”. 2010, KU.
- Master Student, Biomedical Engineer Bianca Bothmann, “The importance of accurate measurements of radioactivity - actualized by the Fukushima accidentthered patients”, 2011, DTU + KU.
- Bachelor Student, Biomedical Engineer, Cecilia Klyver & Joachim Simonsen, “PET/MR phantom studies”, 2011-2012, DTU + KU.
- Master Student, Biomedical Engineer Martin Erikshøj, “Structured Light-Based Motion Correction System for MRI/PET brain imaging”. 31 May 2012.
- Bachelor Student, Maria Danielsen, “PET/CT til diagnostik af muligt melanom, metaanaly-se”2012.
- PhD Oline Vinter Olesen ”Markerless 3D Head Tracking for Motion Correction in High Resolution PET Brain Imaging”. University of Copenhagen 2011.
- PhD, Biomedical Engineer Christian Hollensen, “Planning and Evaluation of Radio-Therapeutic Treatment of Head- and Neck Cancerusing PET/CT scanning”.
- MD, PhD Julie Marie Grüner, “Functional diagnostic imaging for brain tumor characterization”, start 2007, KU, together with Dr. Ian Law.
- Master, Biomedical Engineer Student Martin Christian Axelsen. “Calibration of Fast 3D Head Tracking Structured Light System”, 2013.
- Master, Biomedical Engineer Student Kristian Frostholm Røeboe. “Calibration of Fast 3D Head Tracking Structured Light System”, 2013.
- Master thesis, medical student, Kristian Skikkild Klinkby: Evaluation of αvβ3 expression in human U87MG xenograft under microfrationated radio therapy: is αvβ3 a potential therapeutic target? University of Copenhagen, 2014.
- Bachelor thesis, Louise Krogager og Hannah Lundbak: Attenuation correction of 13-C MR coils for simultaneous hyperpolarized MRSI and PET”. University of Copenhagen, 25th of June 2015.
- Bachelor thesis, David Enslev Nyrnberg, “Attenuation correction of head-neck board in PET/MR: Applicat ion for radiotherapy”. University of Copenhagen, 28th of November 2015.
- MD, PhD Julie Bjerglund Andersen, „MIBG scintigraphy and SPECT/CT compared to PET/CT
- for diagnosis, staging and treatment monitoring in children with neuroblastom“, start 2007, together with Professor Gorm Greisen. University of Copenhagen, 18th of May 2016.
Present PhD students
- PhD Student, Biomedical Engineer Jakob Wilm, “Motion Correction in brain PET &MRI”. Together with DTU & Harvard Medical School 2012.
- PhD Student, KU, Computer Scientist, Claes Nøhr Ladefoged, “Improvement of quantitative PET/MRI for better diagnostics in cancer imaging and neurological diseases”, start January 2015.
Research Evaluation – Master, PhD and Dr.Med.Sci. theses
- PhD Anne Fischer Nielsen, ”Oxidative DNA modification in vitro. “Generation and prevention”. University of Copenhagen 1994.
- Dr.Med.Sci. Thesis MD Niels Quist, ”Motor activity of the gallbladder and gastro-intestinal tract as determinant of enterohepatic circulation Odense University 1995.
- PhD Gina Birgitte Kollerup, ”Anvendelse af kollagentværbindingerne: Pyridinolin og Deoxypyridinolin i urinen som biokemiske knogleresorptionsmarkører. En beskrivelse af analysemetoden samt en vurdering af resultaterne fra kliniske undersøgelser”. University of Copenhagen 1996.
- Dr. Phil Anker Brink Lund, opponent ex-auditorio. “Smitsomme sygdomme I dansk journali-stik”, RUC 1997.
- PhD Peter Kruse, ”Experimental acute pancreatitis models for testing a free radical mechanism”. University of Copenhagen 1997.
- PhD Helle Prieme. ”Biomarkers of oxidative DNA damages, lipid peroxidation, and plasma ascorbate: Effect of smoking cessation”. University of Copenhagen 1998.
- PhD Thomas Broe Christensen, “Metode til belysning af hCG-omsætning under behandling af patienter med hCG-producerende cancer testis”. University of Copenhagen 1998.
- Dr.Med.Sci.Thesis MD Daniel Hogan, ”Duodenal bicarbonate secretion”. Odense University 1999.
- PhD Ulrik Lassen, ”Positron Emission Tomography (PET) of Malignant Tumors”. University of Copenhagen 1998.
- PhD Simon Buus, “C-methionin PET af spytkirtler”. Århus University 2006.
- Dr.Med.Sci. Thesis MD Eigil Rostrup, “The basic physiology of BOLG imaging”. University of Copenhagen 2006.
- PhD MD Annemette Løkkegaard, ”Parkinsons disease and Deep Brain Stimulation. Clinical effect and changes in the brain evaluated with SPECT”, 2007.
- PhD MD Signe Normann Risum, “Diagnositcs in ovarian cancer – the value of PET/CT and proteomics”, 2008.
- PhD David Erritzoe, “In vivo serotonergic markers in overweight and schizophrenic human subjects”, 2009
- PhD MD Kristoffer Lindskov Hansen, ”In-vivo studies of new vector velocity and adaptive spectral estimators in medical ultrasound”, 2009.
- PhD MD Rozy Eckhardt, “Coronary bypass surgery in relation to myocardial perfusion scintigraphy”, University of Southern Denmark 2009.
- Master, Biomedical Engineer Fan Li, “Development of Mathematical compartment model for estimation of hypoxia based on Cu-64 ATSM PET scan”. KU 2009
- Master, Human Biologist Rasmus Poul Bodholt, “Cardiac imaging by PET and CT of a new animal model for myocardial infarctus”. Copenhagen University 2012.
- PhD MD Mads Møller Pedersen,”Quantification of In vivo 2D Vector Flow Ultrasound”. Copenhagen University 2012.
- Master, Human Biologist Karina Juhl. “Tissue factor in cancer and metastases as a target for PET imaging and radionuclide therapy. 2013.
- MD, PhD Michala Reichkendler. “Dosis-respons effect of physical exercise on metabolic risk parameters in obese men, 2013.
- MD, PhD Bodil Engelmann, „Colonic cancer 18F-FDG PET/CT and molecular markers for staging, prognosis and relapse“, 2014.
- Member of the Editorial Board, European Journal of Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging from 2000-
- Member of the Editorial Board, Molecular Imaging and Radionucleide Therapy 2010-
- Member of the Editorial Board, Turkish Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2007-
- Editor Nuclear Medicine Sund DK.
- Editor for The Oncologist, section editor cancer imaging.
- Assistant editor, Ugeskrift for Læger, (The Danish Medical Journal), 1991-1996.
- Editor-in-chief, Ugeskrift for Læger 1996–2002.
- Editor, Nordisk Medicin, 1996-2002.
- Editor, Bibliotek for læger 1996-2002.
- Member of The Vancouver Group, The Int. Committee of Medical Journal Editors, 1996-02
- Member of The Council of Science Editors (US), EASE, European Ass. of Science Editors 1999-2002.
Clinical medical experience
Danish specialist in Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine. Broad competencies in nuclear medi-cine, PET and PET/CT. Special focus on pediatric PET and Nuclear Medicine, member of Pediatric Nuclear Medicine Network, the international telemedicine network for second opinion and transnational advice.
Previous clinical positions
Hvidovre Hospital, Medical Gastroenterology
Intern and registrar 01.02.82 - 30.09.84
Hvidovre Hospital, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
Intern 01.10.84 - 30.09.86
Registrar 01.10.86 - 31.10.88
Bispebjerg Hospital, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
Registrar 01.11.88 - 31.01.89
FAC Hillerød, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine,
Senior Registrar 01.02.89 - 28.02.90
Hvidovre Hospital, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
Senior Registrar 01.03.90 - 30.04.91
Rigshospitalet, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
Senior Registrar 01.05.91 - 30.06.94
Hvidovre Hospital, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine
Consultant 01.08.94 - 21.05.98
Rigshospitalet, Dept. of Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine and
PET & Cyclotron Unit, KF 4011, Rigshospitalet.
Consultant 01.06.98 – 28.02.00
Rigshospitalet, Dept. of Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine and
PET & Cyclotron Unit, KF 4011, Rigshospitalet.
Head of Department, Klinikchef From 01.03.2000
Teaching and Education
- Censor in medical chemistry for medical students and dentistry students, University of Copenhagen 1991-2001.
- Clinical external lecturer, University of Copenhagen, Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine 1984-87 and 1992-94.
- Censor, Faculty of Pharma from 1995-2002.
- Course Medical pedagogy for doctors, University of Copenhagen 1992.
- Lectures, Medical Chemistry, University of Copenhagen 1989-1999.
- Lectures, Human Pathophysiology for master students in Human Biology, University of Copen¬hagen 1995-2000.
- Clinical professor in medical technology, University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Health Sciences, from 2006.
- Adjunct professor in advanced imaging DTU, Technical University of Denmark, from 2009.
- Bestyrelsesakademiet 2014.
University of Copenhagen, The Faculty of Health Sciences, coordinator for the new bachelor and master education in biomedical engineering called ”Civilingeniør i medicin & teknologi”, estab-lished 2002 in collaboration with DTU.
- Member of ”Studieudvalget”; the Board of the education.
- Planner of curriculum, contact to Ministry of Research, PR plan etc.
- Member of The Contact Panel for Private-Public partnership for the education with medical industry representatives with establishment of sponsorships and bachelor & master positions with Radiometer, Novo, Coloplast etc.
- Chair of The Contact Panel for Hospital and Education Relations.
- Leader of course, 5 ECTS points, bachelor education, ”Clinical practice in hospitals” with written essay examination.
- Leader of course, 10 ECTS points, master education, ”Isotopes in medical practice” with written essay examination.
- Tutor for students.
- Participate in students’ introductory course.
- Lectures in nuclear medicine, imaging, isotopes art, bachelor and master level.
- Supervisor for bachelor and master projects.
Postgraduate medical education
Member of the Course Council, Danish Society for Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine 1985-1996. Course leader in hepatologi og gastroenterologi. Member Course Council, Danish Society of Gastroenterology 1989–1995. Member of and secretary for the Postgraduate Medical Education Board, Danish Society for Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine 1989–1995. Course leader for the Danish Specialist education in Clinical Physiology & Nuclear Medicine 1994–1996. Responsi-ble for the specialist education 1994–1998, Hvidovre Hospital. Member of “The National Council for Specialist Education” in Denmark 2000–2006. Member of the Council for Specialist Education (Målbeskrivelsesudvalget) The Danish National Board of Health, 2000–2006. ”International Diagnostic Course in Davos” The University of Zürich, Professor Gustav von Schulthess.