Jens Høiriis Nielsen
Emeritus, Professor, emeritus
Endocrinology and Metabolism
Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 København N, 6.5
Inflammation, Metabolism and Oxidation
Blegdamsvej 3, Building: 12.2.52
2200 København N
Jens Høiriis Nielsen is MSc in Biochemistry and DSc in Cell Biology from the University of Copenhagen. He has published 140 original papers and reviews within the field of beta cell biology and diabetes. He is particular interested in the molecular mechanisms involved in beta cell growth and regeneration under physiological and pathological conditions like fetal development, pregnancy, obesity and type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Primary fields of research
- Pathogenesis of obesity and type 2 diabetes
- Pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes
- Experimental diabetes research
- Growth and function of the endocrine pancreas
- Molecular mechanisms involved in beta cell development, growth, survival and function in normal and pathological conditions.
- Fetal programming of beta cell growth and maturation in the perinatal period in rats: influence of maternal nutrition on gene expression and epigenetic changes.
- Beta cell adaptation to pregnancy: Identification of circulating factors in pregnant women on beta cell proliferation and neogenesis from stem cells.
Fields of interest
Research communication via Science Theatre arrangements (www.videskabsteatret.dk)
- Course in endocrinology for medical students 2001-2016.
- Supervision of Bachelor and Master projects for students in medicine, biology, biochemistry, human biology and molecular biomedicine, in total app. 100.
- Supervision of PhD students, in total 25.