- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, University of Bologna (Italy), October the 16th 1984 with marks 110 out of 110, cum laude.
- Specialization in Neurology, Institute of Clinical Neurology, University of Bologna (Italy), July the 13th 1988, with marks 70 out of 70, cum laude.
- Course of Specialization in Clinical Electroencephalography and Epileptology (World Health Organization) held by Prof. H.Gastaut in Marseille (France), April 2nd-3th 1985.
- Training periods in presurgical evaluation of drug-resistant focal epilepsies:
a) Laboratoire de Neurophysiopathologie du Sommeil et de l'Epilepsie (tutor: Prof.C.Munari), Centre Hospitalier Universitaire di Grenoble (France) on December 1993
b) Epilepsy Surgery Center, Niguarda Hospital, Milan (Italy) (Director: Prof.C.Munari) from October to December 1996, and from December 1998 to May 1999.
- Research Associate, Department of Neurology of Loyola University in Chicago (USA) (Chair: Gastone G. Celesia, M.D.) July 1989 - January 1991.
- Clinical Neurologist, Neurology Unit, IRCCS, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Bellaria Hospital (Italy), February 1991 - December 2011. Positions held:
a) Head of the EEG and Polygraphy Laboratories
b) Coordinator of the Long-Term Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, for presurgical evaluation of drug-resistant focal epilepsies, Department of Neurosciences, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna (Italy), 2002-2011.
c) Epileptologist in charge of the Epilepsy Surgery team, 2001 - 2011.
- Consultant Neurophysiologist at the Neurophysiology Unit of the National Hospital of the
Republic of S.Marino, 1993-1996.
- Neurologist (Overlæge), Adult Department, Danish Epilepsy Center, Epilepsihospitalet, Dianalund (Denmark), January 1st 2012- December 31st 2012
- Director (Ledende Overlæge), Adult Department, Danish Epilepsy Center, Epilepsihospitalet, Dianalund (Denmark), January 1st 2013- July 31st 2014.
- Professor of Clinical Epileptology, Faculty of Internal Medicine, University of Copenhagen, from August 1st 2014 – present
- Senior Consultant, Adult Department, Danish Epilepsy Center, Epilepsihospitalet, from August 1st 2014 – present
- MIUR (Italian Ministry of University and Research) qualification as Associate Professor in Neurology in 2014.
- Reviewer CINECA* for PRIN** projects, Italian Ministry of University and Research since 2016.
*CINECA is a non profit Consortium, made up of 70 Italian universities, 8 Italian Research Institutions and the Italian Ministry of Education
**PRIN: Research Project of National Interest
a) Best Oral Communication – National Congress of the Italian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology - Alghero, 1992.
b) Best Poster Presentation- National Congress of the Italian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology -Pavia, 1995.
c) Best Poster Presentation- National Congress of the Italian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology, Ischia, 1996
Peer-reviewed Grant on “Videogame induced seizures” by the Japanese Epilepsy Association (1995-1997); Principal Investigator. Total amount: 7.500.000 Japanese yen.
Peer-reviewed Grant of the Italian Ministry of University and Research on “Multimodal investigations of focal epilepsies by means of functional imaging”. 1999-2000. Co-Investigator (Scientific Coordinator: Prof.C.A.Tassinari, University of Bologna, Italy). Total amount: 317.700 euro; Bellaria Hospital Research Unit: 102.600 euro.
Peer-reviewed Grant of the Italian Ministry of University and Research on “Epilepsy and brain plasticity. Emotions perception and neurophysiological correlates in patients with mesial temporal sclerosis after temporal lobectomy. 2001-2002. Co-investigator (Scientific Coordinator: Prof.P.F.Nichelli; University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy). Total amount: 85.000 euro; Bellaria Hospital Research Unit: 39.251 euro.
Peer-reviewed Grant of the Italian Ministry of University and Research on “ Analysis of ictal motor behaviours and emotion processing in human epilepsy: a new approach to the presurgical diagnosis of drug-resistant epilepsy”, 2005-2006. Co-investigator (Scientific Coordinator: Prof.C.A.Tassinari, University of Bologna, Italy). Total amount 187.900 euro; Bellaria Hospital Research Unit: 85.400 euro.
Grant of the Italian Ministery of Health on “Diagnostic guidelines for presurgical evaluation and surgical treatment of drug-resistant epilepsies”. 2003-2005. Co-investigator (Scientific Coordinator: Prof.R.Spreafico; IRCCS Neurological Institute “C.Besta” Milan, Italy). Total amount: 240.700 euro; Bellaria Hospital Research Unit: 42.125 euro.
Lennart Gram Mindefond of the Danish Epilepsy Society on “Study of CNKRS2 mutations in children with ESES”. 2014-2016 of the Danish Epilespy Society. Principal Investigator. Total amount 25.000 Danish crowns
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)-Australian Government; Project Grant n.1125523 “The identification of new epilepsy genes by whole genome sequencing”, 2018-2020. Chief Investigator (CI), together with L. Dibbens (Univ. South Australia, Adelaide; CI and project proposer), M.Dinger (Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sidney - CI); T.Andrews (Australian National University – CI); P.Thomas (University of Adelaide – CI) – Amount under remodulation
Grant application under review
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)-Australian Government; Project Grant n. 1146781 “Identifying the genetic causes of epilepsy associated with brain malformations”. 2018-2020. Chief Investigator (CI), together with L. Dibbens (Univ. South Australia, Adelaide; CI and project proposer), D. Reutens (University of Brisbane, Australia - CI). Amount requested for the Danish Research Unit: 45.000 AUD.
- Stefano Meletti, University of Bologna, 1996-1999 (co-supervisor)
- Romana Rizzi (University of Bologna) 1999-2001 (co-supervisor)
- Katrine Johannesen (Syddansk Universitet, Denmark): “Genotype and phenotype correlation by new genetic syndromes”, 2015-2017 (co-supervisor).
- Joanna Gesche (Syddansk Universitet, Denmark): ”Genetics of Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsies”, 2018-2020 (external supervisor).
Opponent at PhD Thesis:
- Imad Halawa, Thesis on “Acute symptomatic seizures. Clinical and experimental Studies” Uppsala University, Uppsala (Sweden), March 24, 2017
- Gionata Strigaro, Thesis on “Neurophysiological study of epileptogenic network in epilepsy”
May 6, 2017 University of Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro”, Novara (Italy)
- Shang Tang, Thesis on “Expanding the phenotypic and genetic spectrum of myoclonic astatic epilepsy”, King’s College, University of London, London (UK), June 23, 2017.
Scientific Societies – Active roles and responsibilities
Member of the Advisory Board of the Italian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology, 1996-2004.
Coordinator of the Regional Section (Emilia-Romagna) of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 1999-2002.
Member of the Advisory Board of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2002-2008.
Chair of the Commission on Promotion of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2005-2010.
Member of the Commission on Guidelines in Epilepsy Diagnosis (Coordinator: Prof. Federico Vigevano) of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2005-2011.
Member of the EEG Classification Task Force (Chair: M. Koutromanidis, London, UK) of the International League Against Epilepsy, 2011-2014.
Collaborating partner of the European Union-funded “E-PILEPSY” project, 2014-2017, Executive Agency for Health and Consumers, Second Health Program, European Commission.
Member of the Commission on Epilepsy Surgery (Coordinator: Giorgio Lo Russo, M.D.) of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2005-present.
Chair (in collaboration with Stefano Meletti) of the Commission of the Video-EEG Library of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2011-present
Chair of the Safety Board of the European Epilepsy Monitoring units Association (EEMA), 2011-present.
Chair of the Commission on “Safety in Epilepsy Monitoring Unit” of the Italian League Against Epilepsy, 2012-present.
Member of the “Sleep and Epilepsy” Task Force of the ILAE (International League Against Epilepsy) - ESRS (European Sleep research Society) – EFNS (European Federation of Neurological Societies), 2013-present.
European Academy of Neurology- Epilepsy scientific panel, since 2015
Scientific Societies - Affiliations
Member of the Italian League Against Epilepsies since 1987.
Member of the Italian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology since 1988.
Member of the New York Academy of Sciences since 1990.
Member of the American Academy of Neurology since 1991.
Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences from 1992 to 1997.
Member of the Italian Society of Neurology since 2005.
Member of the American Epilepsy Society since 2010
Member of the Danish Epilepsy Selskab since 2012.
He has published more than 140 papers in peer-reviewed international journals and has been author or co-authors in 40 chapters of international epilepsy or neurology books (see list of publications).
He has 3016 citations, h-index: 32 (Scopus).
Behavioural Neurology: Associate Editor since 2015
Epileptic Disorders: member of the Editorial Boards 2013-2016
Associate Editor since 2017
Epileptology: member of the Editorial Board, since 2012
Clinical Cases and Reviews in Epilepsy: member of the Editorial Board, since 2014
Reviewer of international scientific journals
Brain, Brain Research, Clinical Neurophysiology, Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, European Journal of Neurology, European Journal of Pediatric Neurology, Neuroreport, Neurological Sciences, Epilepsia, Epilepsy and Behaviour, Epileptic Disorders, Seizure, Epilepsy Research, International J Psychophysiology, Therapeutic Advances in Neurological Disorders, Neuroscience Letters, Pediatric Neurology.
Invited speaker and chairs
He has been invited as speaker or chairman in numerous international and national epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology congresses, and he has acted as teacher or tutor in numerous national and international epilepsy and EEG courses.