Blegdamsvej 3B, 2200 København N, 24 Bygning 24, Building: 24-1-10
Family name, First name: Ciofu, Oana
Researcher unique identifier(s) ORCID https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5648-4858
Date of birth: 03/07/1967
- Research focus
My research focuses on bacterial evolution and adaptation in biofilms, with special interest in development of antibiotic resistance with the aim of optimizing the treatment and improving the outcome of patients with chronic infections including the potential use of viruses (bacteriophages) to control pathogenic biofilms.
- 8/12/2003: Doctor of Science in medicine (Doctor medicinae) from Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen (UCPH);
- 29/1/ 1998: Authorization as Medical Doctor in Denmark, Faculty of Health Sciences, UCPH;
- 19/6/1996: D. from Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Health Sciences, UCPH; supervisor: prof. Niels Høiby
- 15/9/1991: Medical doctor, University “Carol Davila”, Bucharest, Romania
- CURRENT POSITION(S)
- 2022-until present Professor of Antimicrobial resistance, Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH ;
- PREVIOUS POSITIONS
- 2003- 2022 Associate professor, Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, UCPH ;
- 1998-2002: Assistant Prof. Dept. Medical Microbiology and Immunology, UCPH;
- 1998/07-08: research guest Guelph University, Ontario, Canada
- 1996-1998: Research assistant, Dept. Clinical Microbiology, Rigshospitalet;
- 1993-1996: D student, Dept. Medical Microbiology and Immunology, UCPH;
- 1992-1993: Assistant professor, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital “Sf. Pantelimon”, Bucharest, Romania
- CAREER BREAKS (if applicable)
- Maternity leaves: 2008 April-November and 2001 September- 2002 April
- SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS
Total number of peer-reviewed publications: 104 and 14 book chapters
Number of first authorships: 21
Number of corresponding authorships: 32
Number of citations: 9499
H-index: 45 Web of Science
Ciofu, O. - Search Results - PubMed (nih.gov)
- 10 SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- Ciofu, O., C, Jensen, P.Ø, Høiby, N. “Tolerance and resistance of microbial biofilms”, Nature Reviews Microbiology 2022 10.1038/s41579-022-00682-4 (IF=60)
- Ahmed MN., Abdelsamad A, Wassermann, T., Porse A., Becker, J., Sommer M.O.A, Høiby, N and Ciofu O. “The evolutionary trajectories of aeruginosa in biofilm and planktonic growth modes exposed to ciprofloxacin: beyond selection of antibiotic resistance.” NPJ Biofilms Microbiomes. 2020 Jul 24;6(1):28. (IF= 7.067).
- Henriksen, Karoline; Rørbo, Nanna; Rybtke, Morten; Martinet, Mark Grevsen; Tolker-Nielsen, Tim; Høiby, Niels; Middelboe, Mathias; Ciofu, Oana “ aeruginosa flow-cell biofilms are enhanced by repeated phage treatments but can be eradicated by phage-ciprofloxacin combination- monitoring of the phage-P. aeruginosa biofilms interactions” Pathog Dis. 2019 Mar 1;77(2). pii: ftz011. doi: 10.1093/femspd/ftz011(IF =2.02)
- Ciofu O., Smith S., Lykkesfeldt J ”Antioxidant supplementation for lung disease in cystic fibrosis” Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Oct 3;10(10):CD007020. (IF=6.754)
- Ahmed MN, Porse A, Sommer MOA, Høiby N, Ciofu O. “Evolution of antibiotic resistance in biofilm and planktonic aeruginosa populations exposed to sub-inhibitory levels of ciprofloxacin”. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Jul 27;62(8). (IF= 4.715).
- Zaborskyte G, Andersen JB, Kragh KN, Ciofu O. “Real-Time Monitoring of nfxB Mutant Occurrence and Dynamics in Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm Exposed to Subinhibitory Concentrations of Ciprofloxacin”. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Feb 23;61(3).(IF= 4.255)
- Jørgensen KM, Wassermann T, Johansen HK, Christiansen LE, Molin S, Høiby N, Ciofu O. “Diversity of metabolic profiles of cystic fibrosis Pseudomonas aeruginosa during the early stages of lung infection”. 2015 Jul;161(7):1447-62.
- Jensen PØ, Briales A, Brochmann RP, Wang H, Kragh KN, Kolpen M, Hempel C, Bjarnsholt T, Høiby N, Ciofu O. “Formation of hydroxyl radicals contributes to the bactericidal activity of ciprofloxacin against Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms” Pathog Dis. 2014 Apr;70(3):440-3. (IF= 2.4)
- Hengzhuang W, Høiby N, Ciofu O. “Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of antibiotics in biofilm infections of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in vitro and in vivo”. Methods Mol Biol. 2014;1147:239-54. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-0467-9_17.
- Jørgensen KM, Wassermann T, Jensen PØ, Hengzuang W, Molin S, Høiby N and Ciofu O. “Sub-lethal ciprofloxacin treatment leads to rapid development of high-level ciprofloxacin resistance during long-term experimental evolution of Pseudomonas aeruginosa”, Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Sep;57(9):4215-21.(IF= 4.255)
- MAJOR GRANTS AND AWARDS
The Family Hede Nielsen Award, 2005 for “Research in prevention of development of antibiotic resistance by use of antioxidants”, 400.000 DKK
- TEACHING ACTIVITIES AND SUPERVISION (if applicable)
- Course leader “Medical Microbiology” for medical students 6 sem. BA ( >500 students course)
- Course leader “Clinical decision making” for medical students 5 sem.KA
- Initiator and organizer of the first interdisciplinary “ One Health” course at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences ”One Health: Antibiotic resistance – a threat for human and animal health” for medical and veterinary students, KU, SUND, modul 3 of “ Clinical decision course” 5 sem. KA (> 600 students course) . Runs twice a year starting from E17
- Microbiology course 6.sem BA: lectures, laboratory courses, examination.
- Lectures and supervision at two ph.D courses: Medical Biofilms and Antibiotic Research.
- Lectures in UCPH Coursera course on “Biofilm infections”.
Supervisor of 8 PhD students; 15 master projects for students with biological educations; more than 30 bachelor and master projects of medical students;
External examiner for Bachelor of Science (BSc) and Master of Science (MSc) in Engineering programmes and master programmes the field of Civil - Kemi. : appointed by the Danish Agency for Higher Education since 2012 til 2026
ISIM Department supervisor for assistant professors and post docs participating in the Teacher Course for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (Adjunktpædagogikum).
- INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Member of the Leadership team at the Department of Immunology and Microbiology (since 2022)
- Member of the bachelor education committee representing 6th semester BA (microbiology) (since 2016)
- Assessor/chair of committees for positions at professor level at UCPH
- Chair ISIM Skills Development Fund (since 2015)
- Member of the coordination group of Laboratory Practical Courses (since 2019).
- Organizing committee: European Biofilm Conference Palma de Mallorca sept. 2022; European Biofilm Conference Copenhagen 2024
- REVIEWING ACTIVITIES
Grant application review
The National Authority for Scientific Research of the Romanian Government, French Research Council, Flemish Research Council, Finish Research Council, Austrian Research Council, Estonian Research Council, German Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Irish Research Council, Estonian Research Council, Italian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, United Kingdom CF Trust, ESCMID Research grants evaluator, EU Research Council
Associate editor Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology;
Reviewer for following scientific journals
Reviewer for several scientific journals: Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Microbiology, Microbiology Open, Microbiological Research, mBio, npj Biofilms and Microbiomes, Microbiology Spectrum, BMC Infectious Diseases, BMC Pulmonary Medicine, Scientific report ( Nature), ISME Journal, Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance, Frontiers Microbiology, FEMS Microbiology Reviews, FEMS Microbiology Letters, Protein Engineering, Design and Selection, Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, European Respiratory Journal, Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy, Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, APMIS.
- MAJOR COLLABORATIONS
Ass. prof. Research Laboratory Leader Laia Fernández Barat, University of Barcelona, Spain Topic: treatment of biofilm infection
Ass. prof. Coen van Hasselt, University of Leiden, the Netherlands. Topic: modelling of antimicrobial resistance development
Dr.rer. nat. Oliwia Makarewicz , Bereichsleiterin Laborforschung, Institut für Infektionsmedizin und Krankenhaushygiene, Jena, Germany. Topic: phage treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms
- INNOVATION AND OUTREACH (if applicable)
Organizer of Cultural Night ISIM event October 2022