Personal data and academic background
Born 1963, Married, 4 children
Ph.D, University of Copenhagen 1993 (Urban Geography/Geoinformatics)
MSc degree, University of Copenhagen 1989 (Human Geography)
BSc degree, University of Copenhagen 1989 (Computer Science)
BSc degree, University of Copenhageb 1985 (Human Geography)
Urban applications of geographic information systems and satellite remote sensing. Geoinformatics in a planning context with focus on urban development in developing countries, mainly Ghana and Tanzania. Accessibility and location-allocation modeling for service planning. Methods for high-resolution satellite image analysis. Research collaboration and capacity building for application of GIS and remote sensing techniques in developing countries. Web-based and mobile gis for dissemination of spatial narratives.
Selected Professional Activities
- Head of Geography Section 2012-2016
- Head of research group: Cities, Landscapes and Geoinformatics, IGG 2009-2012
- Head of IT-board, IGG, 2009-2012
- Reviewer for various journals including International Journal of Geographical Information Science, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing and Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Remote Sensing of Environment, TESG, Journal of Economic and Social Geography, Earth Interactions.
- Evaluation of research applications: Faroese Research Council, 2012
- Innovation Ambassador, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen 2006-2009
- Scientific evaluation for the AARSE conference, Ghana, 2008
- Member of Editorial Board, Geoforum Perspektiv, 2008-
- Member of Evaluation Board / Associate Professorship, Aalborg University
- Member of Evaluation Board / Associate Professorship, Roskilde University
- Member of programme committee for the ScanGIS 07 conference
- Member of organizing committee for the AGILE 07 conference
- Board member, Institute of Geography 2000-2006
- Board member of the IT-competence centre of the Faculty of Science 2002-2004
- Member of the commission for IT strategy of the Faculty of Science 2000-2002
- Member of AGILE (association of Geographic Information laboratories in Europe)
- Evaluation of research project proposals for Fundacão para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. Ministry of Science and Technology, Portugal, March 2000.
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the Third Int. Remote Sensing of Urban Areas Symposium 2002
- Danida mission to Ulan Bator, Mongolia, 1994
Field experience and research visits
More than 25 years of experience with field work, research collaboration and capacity building in West Africa (Ghana, Senegal), East Africa (Tanzania) and Asia (Mongolia, Thailand, Vietnam).
2012: Research visit at SDSU, San Diego.
1997 – 1998: University of Ghana, Accra. Research collaboration, capacity building and supervision of PhD students (8 month).
- Climate Change Resilience in Urban Mobility. (2018-2022). FFU. DKK 9.8 mill. PI
- RurbanAfrica. (2012-2016). EU – FB/Collaborative project.
- Agricultural growth and poverty pockets in Mekong Danida-FFU (2011-2014) - consultant
- Future of Urban Tanzania. (2010-2013). Strategic Research Council: Development Research (FFU). PI/North
- Small scale mining (2008-2010). Geocenter Denmark.
- WANSEC - West African Network for Studies of Environmental Change, FFU (2008-2012)
- E-science, University of Copenhagen (2008-2009)
- Rural-Urban Dynamics in a Globalizing World: Changing Livelihoods and Settlement Patterns in Frontier Regions of Africa and Asia in collaboration with participants from four program countries, Ghana, Vietnam, Thailand, and Tanzania. Financed by Danish Council for Development Research. (2005-2009)
- Urban growth in Denmark. Ministry of the Environment (2005-2007)
- ESPON 1.3.3 The role and spatial effects of cultural heritage and identity. EU-ESPON-2006 program. (2004-2006)
- Application of remote sensing and digital image processing for environmental monitoring, education and research. Capacity Building - University of Ghana. Danida-Enreca. (1992-2005). PI from 1997.
- Strategic Environmental Research Programme: TRIP- Commuting, teleworking and transport, 2. Integrated traffic, regional economic and impact models 2001-2004
Supervision and teaching
Approx. 50 masters students completed. 8 ph.d students in Denmark and Ghana. Extensive teaching experience within Geographical Information Systems, Satellite Remote Sensing and Urban Planning on all levels.
Current and recent courses:
GIS and Cartography (B)
GIS in planning and governance (B)
Application-Programming for GIS (M)
Applied GIS and Geoinformatics for urban spatial analysis, planning and location-based services (M)
Field courses (USA + Vietnam) (M)
Supervision on all levels