CURRICULUM VITAE - KAARE TEILUM
Name: Kaare Teilum
Date of birth: 02-12-1972
Phone (work): +45 35 32 20 29
Phone (mobile): +45 30 28 18 14
Civil status: Married, two children
My research is focused on conformational dynamics and its importance for the function of enzymes, proteins that interact with other proteins and proteins that aggregates/fibrillates. In all cases the aim is to understand the conformational changes of the proteins in such detail that their behaviour can be rationalized and eventually manipulated. Recent highlights include: Structure and dynamics of the endogeneous capsid protein Arc (paper 49). How the dynamics of metal-ions in Ab and a-synuclein is important for the formation of ROS (papers 45, 38, 34 and 21); ligand binding to a neurotransmitter-sodium symporter by solid-state NMR (paper 40); the design of a stable protein devoid of charges (paper 37,48,54,63); the structure and interactions of PDZ domain proteins (paper 33,35,53,65); specificity and dynamics in ligand binding by glutaredoxin (papers 31 and 22); conformational dynamics and stability in the fold switching protein NCBD (papers 29,27,25,19); optimization of protein stability (papers 51,57,61,62,64,68).
Professor, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen.
Associate Professor, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen.
Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen.
Post doc., Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Lund University.
Post doc., Department of Protein Chemistry, University of Copenhagen.
Visiting scientist, Institute for Cancer Research, Fox Chase Cancer Center, USA.
PhD student, Department of Protein Chemistry, University of Copenhagen.
Research assistant, Carlsberg Laboratory, Department of Chemistry.
Research assistant, Department of Protein Chemistry, University of Copenhagen.
2002: PhD in protein science, University of Copenhagen.
Thesis: “Intermediate and Unfolded States in the Folding of Acyl-Coenzyme A Binding Protein”. Supervisor: Professor Flemming M. Poulsen
1997: cand. scient. (MSc) in biochemistry, University of Copenhagen.
Thesis: “Expression and in vitro folding of barly peroxidase 1 & Deglycosylation studies on horseradish peroxidase”. Supervisor: Associate Professor Karen G. Welinder.
Major grants and fellowships:
Total 22 grants, 16 as PI. Total personal share of grants: ~38 M DKK
2023-26: Project grant, The Danish Council for Independent Research, PI. 2.9 M DKK
2023-26: Project grant, the Novo Nordisk Foundation, PI, 3.7 M DKK
2022-25: Project grant, the Novo Nordisk Foundation, PI, 2.7 M DKK
2020-23: Project grant, The Danish Council for Independent Research, PI. 2.9 M DKK
2019-24: NMR Infrastructure grant, the Novo Nordisk Foundation, co-PI, 23.4 M DKK
2019-21: Project grant, Independent Research Fund Denmark, FSS, PI, 1.4 M DKK
2018-21: Project grant, Independent Research Fund Denmark, FNU, PI, 2.6 M DKK
2018-20: Project grant, the Novo Nordisk Foundation, PI, 1 M DKK
2016-17: Running costs, the Lundbeck Foundation, PI, 0.3 M DKK
2016: Instrument grant, the Augustinus Foundation, PI, 0.2 M DKK
2016-18: Project grant, the Novo Nordisk Foundation, co-PI, 2.8 M DKK
2014: New NMR instrumentation, The Villum Foundation, co-PI, 12 M DKK
2014-16: Project grant, the Lundbeck Foundation. PI, 1 M DKK
2013-16: Project grant, The Danish Council for Independent Research, PI. 1.9 M DKK
2012-14: Project grant from The Danish Council for Independent Research | Technology
Co-applicant. 5.4 M DKK
2011-13: Villum Foundation block grant. Co-applicant. approx. 1.1 M DKK
2011-13: Project grant from the Lundbeck Foundation. PI, 1 M DKK
2011-12: Project grant from The Danish Council for Independent Research | Medical Sciences. PI, 2 M DKK
2007-10: Steno-grant from the Danish Natural Science Research Council. PI 2.7 M DKK
2005-06: EMBO Long Term Fellowship.
2004-05: Villum Kann Rasmussen postdoctoral fellowship.
1999-02: PhD scholarship from the Science Faculty, University of Copenhagen.
Management and organizational work:
I have headed my own research group since 2008 and managed several collaborative projects (see below).
2023- Deputy Head of Department (teaching), Dept. Biology, Uni. of Copenhagen
2020- Delegate at the EMBL and EMBC councils.
2016-22: Head of Section for Biomolecular Sciences, Dept. Biology, Uni. of Copenhagen
2016: Local organizer of the EUROMAR 2016 conference, Århus, Denmark
2015: The art of leadership, EMBO, Heidelberg
2006: Laboratory Management Course, EMBO
1995-97: Member of the Board, Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Copenhagen.
Students since 2007
Number of PhD students: 9 graduated. 3 active
- Kristine Steen Jensen, graduated November 2010
- Zigmantas Toleikis,graduated September 2014
- Lisbeth Andersen,graduated October 2014
- Simon Erlendsson,graduated October 2015
- Lau Dalby Nielsengraduated May 2017
- Shanshan Wugraduated February 2018
- Troels Emtekær Linnet,graduated April 2018
- Louise Hamborg Nielsengraduated April 2019
- Christian Parsbæk Pedersengraduated February 2022
- Alexander Saalbach Hebbelstrupexpected graduation spring 2024
- Annette Juma Skæfergaard Nielsen expected graduation spring 2025
- Nadja Joachim expected graduation fall 2026
Number of master students: 24 graduated, 2 active
- Simon Olssongraduated April 2010
- Michael Hammer Lerchegraduated November 2010
- Lisbeth Andersengraduated January 2011
- Troels Emtekær Linnetgraduated November 2011
- Vytautas Iešmantavičiusgraduated February 2012
- Lau Dalby Nielsengraduated May 2013
- Christian Bersen Borggraduated December 2014
- Casper de Lichtenberggraduated December 2014
- Ulrik Pedersengraduated November 2015
- Ida Kallehauge Nielsengraduated March 2016
- Nikolaj Riis Christensengraduated June 2016
- Tue G. Ehmsengraduated September 2016
- Lasse Sander Dreyergraduated December 2016
- Cecilie Thørring Bonnesengraduated Februar 2016
- Marco Simon Petersengraduated August 2017
- Christian Parsbæk Pedersengraduated August 2018
- Theis Jacobsengraduated December 2018
- Anders Lønstrup Hansengraduated March 2019
- Alexander Saalbach Hebbelstrupgraduated September 2019
- Cecilie Rosholm Oxbjerg graduated April 2020
- Mathilde Bolding Andreasengraduated July 2021
- Nicolas Jonssongraduated September 2021
- Morten Rose Wagnkildegraduated September 2021
- Victor Vestergaardgraduated June 2022
- Peter Kristensen expected graduation summer 2023
- Jens Nicolai Vilstrup Decker expected graduation summer 2023