Universitetsparken 4, 2100 København Ø
My research concerns basic and applied stream ecology, focusing on function, spatial distribution and temporal variability in diversity and composition of benthic macroinvertebrate communities, bio-assessment and eco-physiological performance along environmental and geographical gradients in e.g. altitude, temperature and oxygen. I am particularly interested in high alpine and glacier-fed freshwater ecosystems.
- Basic ecology (Almen økologi)
- Field course III (Limnologi)
- Biodiversity (Biodiversitet)
- Freshwater macrofauna, field course (Makrofauna i ferskvand)
- Advanced ecology
- Freshwater ecology (Ferskvandsøkologi)
- Ecology and management of nature and semi-nature areas
Current and recent research projects
- Back to the future - limnology in Sourthern Greenland, 2021-2022. (Carlsberg).
- Supporting climate and biodiversity by rewetting low-lying areas, 2021-24. (DFF).
- The effect of Oil palm plantations on environmental quality of streams 2020-23. (Talent).
- Microplastics in streams, 2019-21. (Innovation Fund Denmark).
- BIO-Thaw – Modelling Biodiversity and land use interactions under changes glacial water availability in Tropical High Andean Wetlands, 2013-16. (FRB, France).
- Glacial melting, environm. harshness and fauna in streams, 2014-15. (Carlsberg).
Other current duties & activities
- Head of Section (~18 employees).
- GMBA (Global Mountain Biodiversity Assessment) coordinator group on aquatic biodiversity.
- Member Scientific Advisory Board, Eurac Research, Institute for Alpine Ecology, Italy.
- Member of committee of the Study board for Geography and planning at the Faculty of Science.
- Dept. representative in Faculty of Science committee for work environment.
- Member of committee for bibliometric research-indicators, Danish Ministry of Science.
- Associate Editor: Inland Waters (SIL - Freshwater Biological Association).
- Special Issue editor for the journal Water 2021: Effects of Climate and Environmental Change on Freshwater Ecosystems (together with Valeria Lencioni)