Øster Voldgade 10, 1350 København K, 06, Building: 06.2.651
1990: M.Sc. agronomy, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark
1997: PhD in geography, Department of Geography, University of Copenhagen (DG)
2000: Diploma in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (Adjunktpædagogikum), Faulty of Science, University of Copenhagen
Mother tongue: Danish
Understanding and good speaking: French
Understanding and basic speaking: German
Some knowledge of Malay/Indonesian
2016-present Head of Section of Geography, DGN
2014-present Professor of Human Geography, DGN
2006-2014 Associate Professor, DGN (formerly Department of Geography and Department of Geography and Geology, DG)
2004-2006 Network Coordinator (ReNED) and part time Associate Professor, DG
2001-2003 Associate Professor, DG (project funded, DUCED SLUSE)
2003 Part-time Coordinator of Danida working groups on environmental assistance
1997-2008 Part-time consultant on development issues in several African and Asian countries, Nordic Consulting Group
1997-2001 Assistant Professor, DG (project funded, SEREIN and DUCED SLUSE)
1994-1997 PhD-scholarship at DG
1992-1994 Junior National Expert, European Commission Delegation, Burkina Faso
Selected scientific projects and funding
2018-2022 Leader at DGN and supervisor, ‘Inspire4Nature: International training at the Science-Policy Interface for Researchers in Europe, for Nature’. EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie International Training Network, led by CNRS, France. DGN share: DKK 2,100,000
2018-2021 Director of Training and supervisor, ‘Operationalising Telecouplings for Solving Sustainability Challenges for Land Use (COUPLED)’. EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie International Training Network, led by Humboldt University, Germany. DGN share: DKK 4,300,000
2016-2017 Leader at DGN ‘Land-use intensification in forest-agriculture frontier landscapes: effects on ecosystem services and poverty alleviation (ESPA-Frontiers)’ led by University of East Anglia, UK, and funded by the Natural Environment Research Council under the Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA) Programme, UK. DGN share GBP 60,000
2013-2016 Leader at DGN ‘Ecosystem Services, Wellbeing and Justice: Developing Tools for Research and Development Practice’ led by University of East Anglia, UK, and funded by the Natural Environment Research Council under the Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA) Programme, UK. DGN share GBP 102,000
2013-2016 Leader at DGN ‘Knowledge based climate adaptation in West Africa’, led by AGRHYMET, Niger, and funded by Danida. DGN share DKK 2,740,000
2012-2016 Leader at DGN of sub-project on ‘environmental enclosures – REDD+’ under the ‘Property and Citizenship in Developing Countries (ProCit)’ project led by Department of Food and Resource Economics, University of Copenhagen and funded by the Danish Research Council for Social Sciences. DGN share DKK 2,220,000
2012-2016 Member of Rural-Urban Connectivity in Africa (RurbanAfrica) project team (funding EU-FP7), with special responsibility for Rwanda case study
2011-2014 Coordinator and Principal Scientist of EU FP7 funded project entitled Impacts of Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation and Enhancing Forest Carbon Stocks (I-REDD+). Total budget EUR 3,149,968. DGN-share DKK 2,017,907
2009-2012 Leader of the project Transition of Shifting Cultivation Systems at the Agriculture/Forest Frontiers – Sustainability or Demise, funded by the Danish Research Council for Social Sciences, DKK 1,810,000
2006-2009 Senior researcher and coordinator of Work Package in the EU FP6-funded African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis (AMMA) project on adaptation to climate change/variability in rural communities of the Sahel, West Africa, EUR 321,800
2006-2007 Project Coordinator of the Galathea3 endorsed project on Sustainable resource use or imminent collapse? Climate, livelihoods and production in the Southwest Pacific, funded by several private organizations, DKK 1,600,000
1998-2004 Danish University Consortium for Sustainable Land Use and Natural Resource Management (DUCED SLUSE). Leader of an interdisciplinary research project on shifting cultivation dynamics in Sarawak, Malaysia
1997-1998 Sahel-Sudan Environmental Research Initiative (SEREIN), with responsibility for a sub-project on farming systems in Burkina Faso
1994-1997 PhD project on shifting cultivation systems and plant domestication in Sarawak, Malaysia, funded by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Supervision, post docs
- Laura Vang Rasmussen: Land-use intensification in forest-agriculture frontier landscapes: effects on ecosystem services and poverty alleviation (ESPA-Frontiers); Knowledge based climate adaptation in West Africa; and Ecosystem Services, Wellbeing and Justice: Developing Tools for Research and Development Practice
- Maya Pasgaard: Impacts of Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation and Enhancing Forest Carbon Stocks
- Rikke Brandt Broegaard: Property and Citizenship in Developing Societies
- Andreas Egelund Christensen: Shifting cultivation and Global Land Project
- Nathalie van Vliet: Transition of Shifting Cultivation Systems at the Agriculture/Forest Frontiers – Sustainability or Demise and Global Land Project
Supervision, PhD students
- Scott Ford. Understanding the implications of temporal dynamics of protected area boundaries and designations for protected area-based biodiversity indicators. Co-supervised with Martin Rudbeck Jepsen (DGN) and Naomi Kingston, World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge, UK (on-going)
- Joel Persson. International forest conservation discourses and local decisions as telecoupled systems. Co-supervised with Jonas Østergaard Nielsen, Humboldt University, Berlin (on-going)
- Louise Busck Lumholt. Land use impacts of the clean development mechanism in a telecoupled world. Co-supervised with Esteve Corbera, Autonomous University of Barcelona (on-going).
- Teddy Triza Nakanwagi. The outcomes of foreign agricultural investments for land tenure security and water security in Uganda. Co-supervised with Rikke Brandt Brogaard, DGN (on-going)
- Erwan Sachet. Interlinkages between political layouts, agrarian policies and agroecology (on-going)
- Charlotte Filt Slothuus. Land use change impacts on gender sensitive livelihood strategies in Southeast Asia (on-going)
- Augusto Castro. Beyond Carbon Payments: Colombia’s interest in reducing forest-carbon emissions (graduated 2016)
- Charles Kilawe. Transition of shifting cultivation in Tanzania: effects on forest cover, plant diversity, soil properties and crop yields. Co-supervised with Torben Birch-Thomsen, DGN (graduated 2016)
- Abdul Malik. Change detection and sustainable policies of mangrove forests: A case study. Co-supervised with Rasmus Fensholt, DGN (graduated 2016)
- Rico Kongsager. Analytical approaches to integrating agriculture and forestry in low carbon and resilient development strategies. Co-supervised with Anne Olhoff, Technical University of Denmark (graduated 2015)
- Thoumthone Vongvisouk. Local Communities and Reducing Emission from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) in Lao PDR (graduated 2014)
- Mette Bech Pilgaard. Agricultural restructuring and rural development in the Baltic Countries (graduated 2012)
- Malicki Zorom. Vulnérabilité des ruraux sahéliens à la variabilité climatique : Modélisation mathématique de la dynamique socioéconomique. Co-supervised with Bruno Barbier, 2ie and Université de Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso (graduated 2012)
- Sara Trærup. Ensuring sustainable development within a changingclimate (graduated 2010)
- Andreas Egelund Christensen. Making an Island Living: continuity and change on Ontong Java, Solomon Islands. Co-supervised with Katherine Gough, DG (graduated 2010)
- Martin Rudbeck Jepsen. Land, Man and Ecology. Co-supervised with Kjeld Rasmussen, DG (graduated 2005)
PhD and senior staff assessment committees
2018 PhD evaluation: From the pixel to the globe: Large-scale land acquisitions as a driver of socio-environmental change, Emma Johansson, Lund University, Sweden.
2017 Chairman of PhD evaluation: From Land to Riches. The shifting role of land as upland livelihoods commercialize in Lao P.D.R., Catherine Hepp, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
2017 Chairman of assessment committee for Professorship in Climate Change at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway
2017 PhD evaluation: Land politics in Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh: Dynamics of property, identity and authority, Fariba Alamgir, University of East Anglia, UK:
2016 PhD evaluation: Pathways to future cropland. Assessing uncertainties in socio-economic processes by applying a global land-use model, Kerstin Engström, Lund University, Sweden.
2015 PhD evaluation: Shifting cultivation in the upland secondary forests of the Philippines: Biodiversity and carbon stock assessment, and ecosystem services trade-offs in land-use decisions, Sharif Ahmed Mukul, University of Queensland, Australia.
2015 PhD evaluation: Resilience of Amazonian landscapes to agricultural intensification, Catarina Jakovac, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
2015 Member of assessment committee for Professorship at the Department of Agroecology, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
2014 Chairman of assessment committee for Professorship in Human Geography, DGN, Denmark
2014 Chairman of PhD evaluation: Political geographies of displacement by dispossession in Colombia: the case of afrodescendant communities in the Alto Cauca. Irene Vélez-Torres, DGN, Denmark
2013 Chairman of assessment committee for Associate Professorship in Globalization of Agriculture, Rural Transformation and Land Use Changes, DGN, Denmark
2013 Chairman of PhD evaluation: Exploring Land Use Change in the Sahel: Contemporary Perspectives on Coupled Human-Environment Systems. Laura Vang Rasmussen, DGN, Denmark
2012 PhD evaluation: A spatial assessment of changes in land use and carbon stocks in Laos: A contribution to policy and decision making for reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. Cornelia Hett, University of Bern, Switzerland
2012 PhD selection committee, PhD scholarship International Development Studies, Roskilde University, Denmark
2009 Senior researcher assessment committee, Risø, Technical University of Denmark.
2008 PhD evaluation: From Conflict to Unsustainable Consensus – The Actors in Fight for Biodiversity and Survival. Stig Jensen, Roskilde University, Denmark
2007 Chairman of PhD evaluation: Farming system changes among ethnic minorities in the Vietnamese uplands. A comparative village-study on the effects of land allocation in terms of food security, livelihoods and land use changes. Rikke Folving, DGG, Denmark
2006 PhD evaluation: Livelihood, land use and environment interactions in the highlands of East Africa. Eija Soini, University of Helsinki, Finland
2005 PhD evaluation: Multifaceted forest management for biodiversity conservation and poverty alleviation: a case study of mid hills of Nepal. Arun Rijal, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark
2005 Chairman of PhD evaluation: Soil and Water Conservation in Agroforestry Systems: Soil erodibility and runoff under improved fallows and no-tillage in western Kenya. Anja Boye, DGG, Denmark
2004 PhD evaluation: Institutional and ecological aspects of non-timber forest product utilisation – commercial Himalayan medicinal plants in Nepal. Helle Overgaard Larsen, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark
Other teaching and supervision
- University of Copenhagen, organiser or co-organizer of PhD courses:
- COUPLED Advanced Training Course on Scientific Writing, Barcelona, 10-15th march 2019
- COUPLED Summer School, Humboldt University, Berlin, 9-19th July 2018
- Land use change and rural-urban transformation in the Global South, DGN July 2017
- Land use change in developing countries: Consequences for social and natural environments, DGN, October 2012
- Poverty, vulnerability and adaptation, DG, March 2009
- University of Copenhagen, courses at Bachelor and Master’s level: The Global Geography of Food; Environmental Impact Assessment; Human Geography Field Courses in Denmark and Developing Countries; Environment, Society and Development; Introduction to Human Geography; Practising Interdisciplinarity
- University of Copenhagen, supervision: more than 50 M.Sc. and B.Sc. theses.
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak: Assisting with development of Master’s programme and guest lecturing in 2000-2003.
- External examiner in geography at Roskilde University and Aalborg University.
Other academic activities and positions
2019-present Specialty Chief Editor of the Section Land, Livelihoods and Food Security in Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems (Frontiers)
2017-2018 Chairman of evaluation panel for evaluation of geographical research in Norway, Research Council of Norway.
2016-present Member of the Editorial Board of Land (MDPI Press)
2016-2018 Member of evaluation panel for the Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet) calls on development research
2015 Member of evaluation panel for the Faculty of Sciences, University of Turku, Finland - responsible for assessment of the Department of Geography and Geology.
2014-present Member of the Editorial Board of GEO (Royal Geographical Society, UK and Wiley)
2014-present Member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Land Use Science (Taylor & Francis – Routledge)
2013-present Member of the Editorial Board of Environmental Management (Springer, New York)
2012-2016 Leader of the Research Group, Environment and Society in Developing Countries, DGN
2012 Invited participant at Ernst Strungmann Forum on Rethinking Global Land Use in an Urban Era, Frankfurt, Germany, September 2012
2011-present Member of the Council of the Royal Danish Geographical Society
2011-2019 Chief Editor of Geografisk Tidsskrift-Danish Journal of Geography, Royal Danish Geographical Society (Taylor & Francis – Routledge)
2011-2017 Member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the Global Land Project, appointed by IHDP/IGBP
2010-2013 Member of the Master’s Education Study Board of the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen
2010-2013 Member of Danish National Advisory Committee on EU FP7, Environment
2009-present Evaluator for the EU FP7 Environment Programme, National Science Foundation USA, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong and the Swiss National Science Foundation
2009-present Member of the Editorial Board of Human Ecology (Springer, New York)
2007-2011 Secretary General of the Royal Danish Geographical Society (RDGS)
2007-2009 Chairman of the Board of Danish Development Research Network (DDRN), funded by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DKK 9.9 million
2006-present Advisor for the International Foundation for Science
2006-present Member of the WWF-Denmark Scientific Committee and Presidium
2004-2006 Coordinator of the Research Network for Environment and Development (ReNED) promoting research use in international development
2003 Coordinator for three working groups on environment and development under the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2000-2003 Representative of DUCED SLUSE in the Project Steering Committee of the Malaysian University Consortium (MUCED SLUSE)
1999-present Peer reviewer for >30 international journals
2016: Galathea Silver Medal, Royal Danish Geographical Society for research leadership at the Galathea3 Expedition.
Conference contributions: 52 oralpresentations and 12 poster presentations given at a wide range of international conferences and workshops.
Lead organizer of the following conferences and meetings:
2014 International Conference on Carbon-Land-Property, Copenhagen 1-4 July 2014
2013 Side-event ‘Opportunities for REDD+ in degraded forests and complex landscapes’ at EU pavilion, UNFCCC COP19 in Warsaw, Poland, 15 November 2012
2012 Conference on science based measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems in Southeast Asia, Hanoi, Vietnam, 9 November 2012.
2011 Workshop on the Transition of shifting cultivation at Forest-Agriculture Frontiers, ECOSUR, Chetumal, Mexico, 26 June to 1 July 2011
2010 Session ‘Change in shifting cultivation at forest-agriculture frontiers’ at the Global Land Project (GLP) Open Science Meeting on Land Systems, Global Change and Sustainability, Phoenix, Arizona, 17-19 October 2010.
2009 GLP workshop on Forest-agriculture frontiers: impacts of land-use transitions on livelihoods and environment in the humid and sub-humid tropics', 2-3 November 2009, Vientiane, Laos
2008 The demise of swidden in Southeast Asia. A conference aimed at assessing the scope and consequences of the decline in swidden cultivation, 7 March, Hanoi, Vietnam
2007 International conference on Sustainable livelihoods and resource management in small islands, 22-23 August, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2005 Ecosystem services and biodiversity, 17-18 August 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
2004 Bridging research and development assistance: Strategies for adaptation to climate change in developing countries, 26-27 August 2004, Copenhagen, Denmark
2003 Local Land Use Strategies in a Globalizing World: Shaping Sustainable Natural and Social Environments, August 21-23, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Member of the organizing committee of the following conferences and meetings:
2016 Galathea3 – 10 years later. Conference organized by the Royal Danish Geographical Society, 14 December 2016.
2016 Global Land Programme - Open Science Meeting: Land system science: understanding realities and developing solutions. Beijing, 24-27 October 2016
2015 Property and Citizenship in Developing Societies (PROCIT), 3rd International Conference, Urban Property, Governance and Citizenship in the Global South. 23-26 June 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark
2014 Global Land Project - Open Science Meeting: Land Transformations: Between Global Challenges and Local Realities. Berlin, Germany, 19-21 March 2014
2012 Side-event ‘Is the window of opportunity for REDD+ closing?’ at EU pavilion, UNFCCC COP18 in Doha, Qatar, 29 November 2012.
Publications (August 2019)
Scientific publications: 99 articles published in peer reviewed journals and 26 chapters in edited volumes and conference proceedings. Other publications include 3 theses, 34 popular articles, books and consultancy reports. Editor of 10 special issues and 4 conference proceedings.
Web of Science Core Collection: h-index=32; citations=3132
Google Scholar: h-index=40; citations=5715
M.Sc. agronomy, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, 1990 – Ph.D. Geography, University of Copenhagen, 1997 – Diploma, Higher Teaching and Learning, University of Copenhagen, 2000