Challenges facing society
Human health faces new challenges due to our lifestyles and increasing longevity, e.g. diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease. The world is faced with massive health problems. The University's research focuses on framing the right questions and finding effective answers that will enable people to live, and work for, longer and have healthier lives free from disease. Studies of molecules, people, medicine and society serve as the foundation for prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation. To address these challenges, the University is contributing new knowledge...
Major research results
- Prevention of obesity and diabetes through diet and exercise.
- Understanding disease at cellular and molecular level.
- Basic understanding of the body’s energy balance.
- The heart and heart disease.
- Healthy ageing.
Stakeholders in research
Research into health, disease and physical activity is one of the University of Copenhagen's strengths. It is conducted on a large scale in interdisciplinary collaborations between basic researchers and clinical researchers in the university hospitals. At the university hospitals, the University works closely with the Capital Region of Denmark and Region Sealand on research into disease and health. The research into health and disease is also closely associated with research into nutrition and food, and a part of the interdisciplinary health research at the University is co-ordinated by the UNIK programme 'Food, Fitness & Pharma' and the Center for Healthy Aging.
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Center for Autophagy, Recycling and Disease
- Center for Chromosome Stability
- Center for Intelligent Oral Drug Delivery Using Nano and Microfabricated Containers
- Center for Personalized Medicine of Infectious complications in Immune Deficiency (PERSIMUNE)
- Center for Stem Cell Decision Making
- Copenhagen Center for Glycomics
- DanStem - The Danish Stem Cell Center
- DARC - Danish Arrhythmia Research Centre
- NNF Center for Basic Metabolic Research
- NNF Center for Protein Research
- UCPH strategic platform for lifestyle, obesity and metabolic research
- The Centre of Inflammation and Metabolism
- Copenhagen School of Global Health
- Danish Obesity Research Center (DanORC)
- Department of Biomedical Sciences
- Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (ICMM)
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports
- Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology
- Department of Clinical Medicine
- Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology
- The SAXO Institute
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Political Science
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Food and Ressource Economics
- Core Facility for Integrated Microscopy
- Rodent Metabolic Phenotyping Center
- Core Facility for Transgenic Mice
- Afdelingen for Eksperimentel Medicin
- Molecular Imaging (PET, SPECT)
- The UCPH strategic platform for Lifestyle, Obesity and Metabolic research
- Whole body radiation
- Behavioural tests